Solved Installation on a Dell XPS 7390 2-in-1, freeze and panic during install

b_one

Hi here,

I got my hand on a Dell XPS 7390 2-in-1 and I want to try to FreeBSD on it. I know this is a fairly new laptop and not everything might work, but I want to give it a try anyway.

I tried first the memstick of FreeBSD 13.0, but the kernel could not be loaded (it got hang just after the bootloader). I tried the safe mode as well, but I got the same results.

Thinking this might have been fixed in a newer version, I tried the last memstick image (CURRENT). This image managed to load the kernel, but it got another issue: it could not find the root partition and resulted in a kernel panic. I attached a screenshot of where the panic happens.

Is there anyway I can fix that in either FreeBSD 13.0 or CURRENT?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• photo1634116534.jpeg
    photo1634116534.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 9

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

That /: bad dir ino 7 at offset 0: mangled entry doesn't look good. Have you tried a different USB stick? It looks like this one might be corrupted. Also verify the hash of the image before writing it to make sure the image itself downloaded correctly.

pebkac

I use a 7390 happily as my daily driver notebook with FreeBSD 13 (and before 12.2) for roughly a year now and everything that I need works really well and overall it is rock stable.

I did not yet manage to set up suspend, webcam does not work and I use WIFI via net/wifibox (before I simply used a USB WIFI dongle) and I don't know yet how to set up the touchscreen (under sway/wayland). The SD card reader seems to work though.

There are a few things I needed to figure out at first though, e.g. select the correct timer chip (otherwise the clock was always about 50% too slow) via sysctl.conf:

Code:
kern.timecounter.hardware=HPET

So if you run into any problems, feel free to ask. Maybe I already figured it out. :)