Installation KDE5 on VMware VM FreeBSD 13.1 ended in unreadable test of X11

My target is creating a VMware VM running on FreeBSD 13.1 with KDE5 as dekstop environment (I'm rather new to FreeBSD).

First I made a FreeBSD 13.1 VM on my MacBook Pro with VMware Fusion (12.2.4) using the FreeBSD-13.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso. This succeeded well using the BSD Installer and the BSD Handbook.

Second I used the Acadix desktop-installer as a tool for installing KDE (having assigned to the VM 4GB memory, 2 processors, 60GB HD). The whole procedure of the desktop-installer worked well, including the 694 packages of KDE5, sddm, XF86-video-vmware, and ending by the urgent suggestion to test the X11 environment. Thereby the instruction that I should end the test by a logout, en not by shutting down the system.

When I accepted this by 'y' a nice screen appeared, but the windows, the texts, and the mouse-cursor were so small that I could impossibly figure out what tot do. I tried to change the resolution of the screen, but this didn't help. I also couldn't figure out how to logout (having only configured 'root' as user). On a KDE-forum I found the suggestion to do a CTR-Alt-Backspace. As a result appeared a very small login-window but clicking on something there the whole screen turned black. When nothing helped to remedy this the only way out was to shut down the VM.

Before trying a restart I'll be glad to recieve suggestions about what tot do without corrupting what already has been installed correctly.

Regards
George

In the meantime I reported the above issue also on the Acadix site. I realise now that I should have done this earlier, before bothering the members of this Forum. I'll report it here when the Acadix people have responded to this issue with their desktop-installer.

Back