Installation failed

When installing FreeBSD 12.1 (i386), the installer couldn't find /boot/loader/loader.lua and gave error, going to the OK prompt. The ls command showed a empty directory...

I was installing it in an old PC with Pentium M and Windows XP, and also a very basic BIOS...

Checksum (sha256) the ISO. If it's correct, go to the BIOS and set SATA HDD to AHCI and Native (instead of IDE), if those are applicable.

My BIOS is too basic. The laptop is from 2006. The BIOS only gives the option to select boot media...

After you checked the install medium (md5sum or sha256), you can try one or all of the following:
  • Safe boot & disable acpi(4) for the installer
  • put echo debug.acpi.max_threads=\"1\" >>/boot/loader.conf
  • Boot with hw.acpi.verbose="1"
  • Put hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" into loader.conf(5) to disable ACPI completely
  • Maybe try GhostBSD or NomadBSD?
Good luck!

Not finding a file (in this case boot/loader/loader.lua) has little to do with acpi, right?

It would be nice to have a screenshot (maybe with a smartphone) to see the exact error message. ;D

What's the Installation media? A CD?

I came across this same problem, though on amd64, a couple weeks ago when installing to my "new" build, on an ECS/Nvidia AM2+ motherboard with BIOS. At first I thought it was USB related so I burnt a CD with 12.1-RELEASE. Same thing. Then I burned another one with 11.2-RELEASE. It worked, installation was smooth. Afterwards I upgraded straight to 12.1. No problems this far.

Back