Solved Install problem

Hi I’m trying to install FreeBSD 10.2.
I downloaded the FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img and put it on my USB stick.
When booting I get into the freebsdFreeBSD menu and choose multi user.
After about 1 min of loading I get this error primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
My computer is a HP mini 5101 with a new SSD that has not been used or formatted before.

How did you write the image? If you used Linux or OS-X make sure you're writing the image to the disk, not a partition within that disk. That's a common mistake. I also recommend checking the SHA and/or MD5 hashes to make sure the image wasn't corrupted during download. And there's always the risk of a broken stick and/or USB port so make sure you try another.

Very good. That hasn't given me any problems, even recently. I've booted various different devices with it, but not this specific laptop. Did you try another stick and checked the hash? Just to rule out any problems with the media.

Hi I dont have any other stick at the time being and Im not sure how to check the hash. Here is a screenshot of what happens after booting the multi user mode.
10nuvd1.jpg

The memory stick (da0) has a leftover backup GPT at the end. Writing the FreeBSD install image did not overwrite it, because the memory stick is larger than the image.

The only way I can think of to fix that with Windows is to format the stick and rewrite the FreeBSD install image. However, I am not sure that a Windows format with either NTFS or FAT will overwrite the last few blocks of the drive, which is where the backup GPT table is located. The Windows disk management utility, whatever that is called, might be able to do it. Or a Linux Gparted.

Thank you! I deleted the USB partition and reformatted it. Now it installed without any problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back