Solved Install fresh VM, "cannot open /boot/lua/loader.lua", boot on CD image

Hi,

Looking at these forums, this looks like a common issue but I found no solution so far.

I develop open source software for Linux, macOS, Windows and I would like to port it on FreeBSD.

I try to install a fresh FreeBSD virtual machine. This is my first FreeBSD installation. I already have 10 Linux VM (distinct distros) and 2 Windows VM on the same Mac host with Parallels Desktop hypervisor.

I tried FreeBSD-13.1-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso and FreeBSD-13.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso (checksum verified).

I set boot order of the VM to CD and I connect the CD device to this .iso image. This is the standard procedure which works with any other guest OS. Note that Parallels Desktop lists FreeBSD as one of the supported guest OS but even "unsupported OS" boot and install.

When booting the VM, I immediately get the message "ERROR: cannot open /bool/lua/loader.lua: no such file or directory". The same error occurs with the two .iso images.

I have seen many similar errors in the forums. Most of them where problems with copying the image on partitions or USB sticks. Here, I just want to boot a VM on a CD image.

I have seen that LUA was mentioned as a boot issue starting with FreeBSD 12 and some people succeeded in installing older versions. However, we can only find 12.x and 13.x images today.

Any hint or suggestion?
Thanks for your help

Back