Solved install error on new install.

IMG_20210801_133547.jpg

(SOLVED) So after setting up my internet on my new install I get this every time i use pkg or freebsd-update fetch. What can be wrong

Last edited:
I will

How should this be populated I am not sure why this has happened.
Did you use dhcp or statically assign it? What's in your rc.conf concerning this?
To check if resolving is working you can always do ping forums.freebsd.org

i have 192.168.11.1 in the resolv.conf when I add the nameserver 1.1.1.1 when I reboot it only has the first entry in the resolv.conf file

So DHCP is providing a resolver.
Do the following in a shell and post the output (/tmp/internet.txt):

script /tmp/internet.txt
ping forums.freebsd.org
pkg bootstrap
exit

well I have exhausted all options. I can ping pkg.freebsd.org but still no connection. I run ifconfig and it show re0 is active. What I am annoyed with is that arch linux loads perfectly. Finds interface and connects to the internet. Lucky we are in covid lockdown and I have time to sort this. resolv.conf is 192.168.11.1

I can ping pkg.freebsd.org but still no connection. I run ifconfig and it show re0 is active. What I am annoyed with is that arch linux loads perfectly. Finds interface and connects to the internet.
That makes no sense - if you can ping, then there is a connection, otherwise ping would not work.

I don't think FreeBSD is working for you - that's OK - there are plenty of other choices, including ones that don't annoy you.

Yes this is what I understand too. If it can ping it should enable pkg to connect. But it does not. I am downloading the iso again incase I have corrupted it. I will let you lnow.
leigh

What? Reinstall because of 1 issue? Ok, it's your time to waste.
I would have next done a curl -v http://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/quarterly/meta.txz to diagnose the issue.

Back