Solved Install: can't figure this one out, could use some assist

I don't know what the problem is. Common reference point is me, I know about that problem. I tried 12.0, had it kind of working but then borked it with a wrong command. Now i can't get past the rebooting issue no matter what I try. I can't seem to reliably get a LiveUSB working that this computer will recognize as bootable. The sha512sum passes. My computer does not like the bs=1m so I changed that to bs=1M. This is what I tried last:
dd if=FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M conv=sync
It didn't work, I get the boot splash menu and then a lot what looks like hexcode, a long pause and then a repeat boot. Is something else got put there on the usb? It is not readable with anything I have. BTW, I don't have any windows here, this is a Linux powered house.

What should I be pre-formatting these usb's with anyway? Could that be the problem?
BTW, I put a Linux LiveCD on the usb as a test and it worked just fine, it's not the usb-stick.

Other details: the computer is a Compaq (HP) elite 8200, 8gb ram, 120gb hdd.

Just because Linux works on that stick doesn't mean FreeBSD will. Many of these devices are not fully standard-compliant and FreeBSD will have trouble accessing (and booting off) them. All operating systems have a "band-aid" system for circumventing these exceptions and FreeBSD may happen to not have the special fix for that particular chip.

I notice that you still insist on trying 11.1 like in your previous thread and ignore our suggestions, even though 11.1 will reach EOL very soon and 11.2 has just been released, and 11.2 actually fixes a boot issue.

Also, can you try changing the BIOS's boot settings? Can you try the CD version (*disc1.iso.xz) instead?

I couldn't find anything in bios that mentions ACPI, checked every page, every option. This bios is about the worst for choices I've ever seen, well I've seen worse before, just been awhile. Put Linux Mint on an old Dell yesterday and that bios was way worse for choosing drives to boot with, but at least i saw an ACPI choice.

Beastie, I was just attempting 11.2. The boot loop is gone. Just says Booting... and then Start @ 0xffffffff.... and several lines later the cursor just sits....
I just remembered I have a cd-recorder/player with a usb cord attached to my tv. I'll try that and report back

"I notice that you still insist on trying 11.1 like in your previous thread and ignore our suggestions, even though 11.1 will reach EOL very soon and 11.2 has just been released."
Just because i haven't figured out where my posts are on this forum, as of yet, doesn't mean I haven't tried your suggestions and you are not on ignore. I have tried the several versions suggested and am not getting anywhere. I have been using a couple different Sandisk USBs, different models that I have bought over the years that seem to work ok for a variety of Linux tasks.

I am trying the dvd now. It seems to hang at the same point where the last 11.2 usb hangs. Screen has a line that says:
Booting...,
Starting @....,
EFI framebuffer information:
addr, size ....,
dimensions 800 x 600
stride 800
masks ....
and the cursor just sits....

Could you please share your full hardware specs here?

Assuming you're running on hardware and not within a virtual environment.

just trying to use the full computer first

Attachments

• Elite 8200 specs.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 226
Just a note though, while folks can get frustrated, it's always good, especially now with 11.2 just out to mention whether you're using 11.1 or 11.2. At some point in this thread you mentioned CURRENT, which some mods will close considering it unsupported.

I'm installing 11.2. Current 12.0 was a previous and failed boot attempt. As was 11.1. I am wondering if FreeBSD has an issue with UEFI? I had Fedora previously on this computer and that name keeps appearing in the boot-order. I went into bios and disabled it. I can't recall ever having this kind of problem before and I can run a live Linux Mint and/or other Linux distro. From a LM liveusb I do not see a boot order from the efibootmgr.

It looks like FreeBSD doesn't like your computer's particular UEFI implementation. I've experienced something similar on a v2.0 firmware before. Try changing your BIOS configuration to boot in legacy mode. (You might have to look for an option that mentions CSM -- Compatibility Support Module.)

Seems like everything I try, doesn't work. If I could move the hardware to another computer, install it there and move it back to the problem computer, would it function properly?

The above seems to have worked. Put the drive and the live usb into different computer, got it to boot, finished the install. Put the hdd back into the HP Elite 8200 and now it's bowing to the Ori. Next is GUI. Thanks for the help!

Please, there is a built-in option to mark as SOLVED. Go to edit thread and change from (no prefix) to SOLVED. Thanks! :)

Back