Solved Install 13.1 RC-3 not getting IP from DHCP with Atheros AR8161 and Realtek Wifi

Hi Demons,

Neither of ethernet card works in the installation of FreeBSD 13.1.

DHCPDISCOVER on alc0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67... indefinitely.

I tried with 12.2, 12.3 but, only the Realtek wifi card works. The ethernet are recognized. I use this same card with my previous FreeBSD 12.2 installation never got a problem. But, now, I'm reinstalling all over again and cannot make it work :/

Just, the same thing still printing out:

DHCPDISCOVER on alc0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
NO DHCPOFFERS received.

Could I ask, multiple tries of doing what? I am experiencing the same problem, but it is a new machine running FreeBSD 13.1-rc4, so cannot compare with previous installations.

I tried setting SYNCDHCP in /etc/rc.conf, but to no avail.

The difference between SYNCDHCP and DHCP is that DHCP will continue the boot process while the DHCP requests are done. SYNCDHCP will stall booting until DHCP actually got an IP address before it continues with the boot process.

This doesn't change the way it gets an IP address, it just means booting is going to stall until it does (or times out).

Could I ask, multiple tries of doing what? I am experiencing the same problem, but it is a new machine running FreeBSD 13.1-rc4, so cannot compare with previous installations.

I tried setting SYNCDHCP in /etc/rc.conf, but to no avail.
But, I did different thing. I started installing version 12, then, 12.3, and later 13.1-RC4. But, once I got it working with version 12, then I only did updates, not new version from start. Hope it helps.

Back