ZFS Informative SSD Benchmark

Just a note that the article is about 5 years old. Generally, it just confirms that NVMe is much better for SSDs than SATA/SAS.

Just a note that the article is about 5 years old. Generally, it just confirms that NVMe is much better for SSDs than SATA/SAS.
Yes, the inclusion of Optane should have alerted me to that.

What I took away was a much better understanding of the relative advantages of NVMe over SATA with both transfer rates and latency. There's also a reminder that NVMe M.2 can be handicapped by PCIe x2 (as opposed to x4).

Today they are essentially useless, with the units that are now (basically) all solid state
One of the almost unique advantages of zfs is to easily mirror NVMe drives, both on the motherboard and on PCIe cards (which is more common in servers), out-of-the-box
Read-only systems even from RAM disk are becoming more and more common, for cuts even medium loads (~ 250 / 500GB)

NVME, SSD/SATA/SAS
I believe that at the very bottom, the devices are the same or very similar. The biggest difference is in the front end, how they are accessed.
SATA/SAS SSD emulate a "disk" interface so translate from that (Cylinder/Head/Sector) to the flash device.
NVME doesn't do the translation (by design) so it can be much faster.

Back