Impressions of 14.0-RELEASE

Just a quick question for folks that have upgraded from 13.x to 14.0-RELEASE.
How does it feel to you compared to previous version?
Taking full advantage of ZFS and BE's I did the upgrade into a new chroot'd BE then single reboot.
2 systems, one Intel i915 the other with Nvidia.
Overall impressions to me are 14 feels a little bit snappier on the same hardware with the same prime-list of packages.

Anyway so how does it feel to you?
thanks

I had this impression, I admit, on both a VirtualBox VM under Windows and an old PC (i5 of third generation, 16 GB RAM and a no less old nvidia GTX 750 Ti).

But, this feeling quickly left place to the new problems 14.0-RELEASE and the upgraded packages bring for me.

But, this feeling quickly left place to the new problems 14.0-RELEASE and the upgraded packages bring for me.
Quarterly packages or latest?
I'm running quarterly and haven't had any issues with the packages that I run which may or may not overlap what you are running.

I'm still on 13.2 on the servers i test 14.0 on my laptop and it look like it load a bit faster. I like the UFS changes as this is the primary file system that i use on hardware raids controllers on the servers.

Latest. Maybe a burden... To be honest, that happens not only in RELEASE upgrades but this time, it was awful. But let it be. I left no machine in 13 RELEASE.

Reactions: mer
Still struggling here, after the last freebsd-update install I got the error libcrypto.so.111 not found, which is a major issue at least for me because I use sudo to upgrade which is now no longer working. Login using tty is also not working anymore and I was forced to reboot into the previous BE ( luckily there is one) which allowed me to login again. Now I have opened a cshell as root using sudo and run freebsd-update install again. Hopefully this works out. 😅

So far the upgrade from 13.2 to 14 has been the worst. 😅 I guess I give up on this and will install 14 from scratch. 🤪

Anything in particular?
Several: the polkit case, chrome which didn't work until I delete my profile data and the time that took to upgrade. It always took long to do an upgrade, but this time it was very very long.

There are some things that don't work yet like obconf that not only crashes but also erase sometimes the content of ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml. For now, I'm tired to spend my time to repair things that I don't use often, so I leave as is.

For the little story, I wrote a set of scripts to manage my jails. To test them, I needed to upgrade jails from 13.2 to 14.0. On an old machine (i5 3rd generation, 16 GB RAM, ssd, internet connection at 500 Mbp), it took two hours each time. I did this maybe ten times... :rolleyes:

For the little story, I wrote a set of scripts to manage my jails. To test them, I needed to upgrade jails from 13.2 to 14.0. On an old machine (i5 3rd generation, 16 GB RAM, ssd, internet connection at 500 Mbp), it took two hours each time. I did this maybe ten times... :rolleyes:
Why don't you make a local cache for this task instead?
2 hours/jail I would have give up after the second one personally, your hardware seems decent to me.

tanis
Any particular reason to not using root directly ?
Or you could give doas a try but honestly when doing this kind of operation to me root is just mandatory, I don't even think twice.

Why don't you make a local cache for this task instead?
2 hours/jail I would have give up after the second one personally, your hardware seems decent to me.
I don't think a local cache improves enough the delay, as the longer time taken is used not to download files but to read and write on the disk.

By the way, it's not 2 hours per jail because I use the thin jail system.

Instead, try running commands as root; without sudo.

(I have a distant memory of something not working as required with sudo.)
I wasn't able to login as root anymore either. There was an issue with pam_opie. I tried to fix it from single user boot, but unfortunately the libssl.so.XXX was missing as well, so I couldn't mount zfs in rw mode. o_O

Started from scratch. Right now I'm almost there, for whatever reason my USB mouse is not working. 😆

It keeps connecting and disconnecting all the time, USB keyboard is fine though. :-/ 🤪

I don't think a local cache improves enough the delay, as the longer time taken is used not to download files but to read and write on the disk.

By the way, it's not 2 hours per jail because I use the thin jail system.
So it may be the problem comes from the CPU?
I just check and it's a 12years old processor, wow I really thought it was not that old, time goes by so fast!!

So it may be the problem comes from the CPU?
I just check and it's a 12years old processor, wow I really thought it was not that old, time goes by so fast!!
Look on the forum, you will see that it's not really a problem with the CPU. I got the same feeling whatever the processor and even disk speed. The problem is progress, nothing to do against that.

Look on the forum, you will see that it's not really a problem with the CPU. I got the same feeling whatever the processor and even disk speed. The problem is progress, nothing to do against that.
Okay I'll check, thanks for the feedback.

… chrome which didn't work until I delete my profile data …

Maybe a coincidence, I don't imagine the port issue directly related to an upgrade of base.

… the polkit case, …

Not specific to 14.0-RELEASE, I was bugged on 15.0-CURRENT. Fixed in ports:

I well know that most of the issues aren't directly related to the upgrade itself. But, the result is there. Upgrade from 12 to 13 was absolutely painless, no trouble at all not even a small one.

PS: normally the OPIE problem isn't one as the concerning config files are amended during the upgrade.

My upgrade experience was flawless...In fact, I haven't booted back into 13.2 since upgrading...In fact, now that 14.0p5 came out, I have upgraded my pools, and am in the process of upgrading my jails to 14.0. I just wanted a few flawless BEs to be able to roll back to.

It does seem snappier, both on a 12 year old Thinkpad W520 with intel graphics, and my 7 year old desktop with an i7-6850k and nvidia graphics...

Thanks for the responses; I know that impressions are by definition subjective and a lot depends more on applications (pkgs) but it's nice to see I'm not alone.

Similar to SirDice, a very boring upgrade and continual usage! One bare-metal server with 10 jails, and another small bare-metal server that does home DNS/DHCP.
I like that root now has a bourne shell compatible shell by default, the only thing that would have been nice is if some helper tool converted the old tcsh history to sh history, but it's not much of a bother for me.

Similar to SirDice, a very boring upgrade and continual usage! One bare-metal server with 10 jails, and another small bare-metal server that does home DNS/DHCP.
I like that root now has a bourne shell compatible shell by default, the only thing that would have been nice is if some helper tool converted the old tcsh history to sh history, but it's not much of a bother for me.
I concur with this. i kept my 13.2 boot environments around for safety sake, until 14.0p5 was released, and since it has been, I have deleted the 13.2 BEs, upgraded my pools, and am in the process of upgrading my remaining jails to 14.0. I did not ever find the need to roll back to 13.2 once.

Back