UFS Impossible to mount second drive

Hi all,

I'm running pfSense 2.5.2, which is based on FreeBSD 12.
I'm trying to mount a second drive, but haven't had any luck doing so.

Partitioned my second drive like follows:
Code:
gpart destroy -F /dev/ada0
gpart create -s GPT ada0
gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -a 1M ada0
newfs -U /dev/ada0p1

Then I added a entry in /etc/fstab like this:
Code:
/dev/ada0p1 /media/ssd    ufs    rw    2    2

When I proceed with a mount -a followed with a df -h command, I can see that the second drive mounts just fine.

However, when I reboot the machine is when the troubles start. It just refuses to boot until I manually remove the newly created entry in /etc/fstab and reboot again.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

I'm a pfSense user, and hopefully won't break local rules, but pfSense wants to boot from the embedded eeprom device.
Once you add a second disk you are supposed to install pfSense on it and that becomes the boot device.

I'm a pfSense user, and hopefully won't break local rules, but pfSense wants to boot from the embedded eeprom device.
Once you add a second disk you are supposed to install pfSense on it and that becomes the boot device.
Thanks. So what you're saying is adding a second disk to pfSense is not possible/supported?

Thanks. So what you're saying is adding a second disk to pfSense is not possible/supported?
If it is a netgate appliance, you can add a second disk device (mSata typically) but you need to reinstall because it becomes the boot device.
The best solution is what George says, with a minor tweak:
in /etc/fstab add noauto to the options and then a startup script or cron job to mount it after boot.

Back