Import the whole of the ports tree

Hi Forum

This may seem an awkward question... but here it goes:

The scenario is this... I will have unlimited connection for the next month, and this will allow me to install any software I need from the ports tree.

But for times to come, later, I am not sure when I will have broad band availability again, therefore I would like to know wether it is possible to import all the files needed to build a port whatever it is into the /usr/ports without actually building it, for the whole complete set of ports available, so as to back it up in a DVD set and have my personal repository at hand, in case i need it...

Is it possible to do... ?

How many Gb am I talking here... ?

Thanks in advance for your answer... :)

BRGDS

Alex

Hi dennylin93

Thanks for your reply, You mean to say that # make fetch-recursive in /usr/ports will populate the whole of the ports tree...? fine...

Once I have the ports tree completely filled, in case I want to compile/install an application, I just cd to the folder and #make install clean... now one more thing... how many Gb will it take...? Do you have any Idea... ?

I've heard there are ~20000 packages involved...

The whole of the Debian Lenny distribution is about 5 DVDs... but they do not ship source code... only in the *-dev packages ( header files ) their libs and executables are all in binary form...

Is FreeBSD repo much bigger than this... ?

BRGDS

Alex

Uh... Usually # make fetch used within a port. Like # cd /usr/ports/www/apache22 && make fetch-recursive. Not sure if you can do it in /usr/ports. I wouldn't recommend it though, the distfiles should reach 10 GB at the very least.

vivek said:
Also, you can download DVD ISO images (if you want binary stuff only) itself ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/7.2/7.2-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso.gz

But not everything is in the DVD, at least i got this impression when I installed fBSD... am I wrong ...?

I asked me wether i wanted to install the ports tree, which i replied yes, but cd /usr/ports/whatever , #make install clean starts trying to connect to several URL to fetch the files and compile the app...

AlexVader said:
Hi dennylin93

Thanks for your reply, You mean to say that # make fetch-recursive in /usr/ports will populate the whole of the ports tree...? fine...

Once I have the ports tree completely filled, in case I want to compile/install an application, I just cd to the folder and #make install clean... now one more thing... how many Gb will it take...? Do you have any Idea... ?

Yes. This should work. it will pull all the source to /usr/ports/distfiles. I have no idea how big that will be though.

I've got XFCE and Gnome-lite plus a few applications I use and distfiles takes up about 1.6GB.

Hi Roddierod frontclynne SirDice and dennyli93

Thks for your replies

I will start playing with fBSD... this is different from Linux... :)

BRGDS

Alex

Back