Image manipulation software

Depending on what desktop environment you are running, it may already have tools to scale an image for your desktop. That's a rather common function.
Gimp, while maybe more than you need, can easily scale images up and down. Just make sure to export them in jpeg or png. "save" or "save as" saves in normal Gimp format.
I run WindowMaker, it's background tool is wmsetbg: this has options for scaling, centering, tiling images; so take a look at whatever you are running, it may already be able to do what you want.

Imagemagick has a bunch of tools to use in scripts. That was basically what I was trying to ask, if you needed an application like GIMP or a collection of tools for use in scripts like ImageMagick.

Imagemagick has a bunch of tools to use in scripts. That was basically what I was trying to ask, if you needed an application like GIMP or a collection of tools for use in scripts like ImageMagick.
I have successfully installed Gimp as the software that, at the moment, suits my needs, .

I only require for changing the size of imported desktop background images.
If you are going to use those images as a desktop background, look at graphics/feh.feh(1)

DESCRIPTION
feh is a light-weight, configurable and versatile image viewer. It is
aimed at command line users, but can also be started from graphical file
managers. Apart from viewing images, it can compile text and thumbnail
listings, show (un)loadable files, set X11 backgrounds, and more.

Just for the record: ImageMagicks command display mustn't be used by script or command line - it's a well featured image editor with its own GUI.

Back