I'm going to prepare my next project : the installation of FreeBSD on the Rockchip RK3399 4GB

Hello to everyone.

I'm preparing for the next project,the installation of FreeBSD on the ROCKPro64 4GB SBC (powered with the Rockchip RK3399). I'm anxious to test bhyve for arm64 :D

So,I'm going to buy the accessories below :

I would like to know if they are good for my ROCKPro64 4GB,since I'm really not experienced with the electric / electronic components. I'm not sure if the fan is powerful enough or if the power supply has the perfect voltage for the soc. So,please help me.

I don't use a fan on any of my RK3399 boards. A heatsink is enough in my opinion.

Be advised many PCIe cards do not work on RockPro64. You need to allow addition time for device scanning. PCIe training errors.

5A power should be fine. i think that the detachable eMMC with USB writer might be a worthy purchase depending on your use case.

If you plan on NVMe in PCIe slot than eMMC not needed but if you want to use PCIe slot for other use like networking than eMMC is viable option.

The WIFI/BT adapter does not work on FreeBSD so save your money there.

For eMMC I would not spend alot on big drives. The electrical format on the RockPro64 eMMC module is an older style.
It has only one row of connectors. The newer style has two rows of connectors. Found on rockchip >RK3399
They seat nicer with two rows of connectors at each end.
Rock64 and Rock64Pro use the same eMMC module along with other boards like Pine64.

The USB key wrier is like $5 and well worth it if you go the eMMC route.

I don't think I would host VM's on the eMMC but for OS use. Use an NVMe card for the VM's.

Do you really have enough memory to pull this off with Bhyve (experimental arm64).
sysutils/u-boot-bhyve-arm64

Maybe Quartz64 (8GB) would be a better choice? Its not supported with a release version though....

I don't think I would host VM's on the eMMC but for OS use. Use an NVMe card for the VM's.

Do you really have enough memory to pull this off with Bhyve (experimental arm64).
sysutils/u-boot-bhyve-arm64

Maybe Quartz64 (8GB) would be a better choice? Its not supported with a release version though....

Quartz64 is powered by a Rockchip RK3566 ; on the ML I read that :

The RockPro64 (RK3399) has the right hardware [to try bhyve because it supports GICv3] but see bug 277559.

So,I've opted for the RK3399. Not sure about RK3566.

I don't use a fan on any of my RK3399 boards. A heatsink is enough in my opinion.

Be advised many PCIe cards do not work on RockPro64. You need to allow addition time for device scanning. PCIe training errors.

5A power should be fine. i think that the detachable eMMC with USB writer might be a worthy purchase depending on your use case.

I have some questions to ask you :

1) Can the board runs without the heatsink ?
2) I have a power supply of 5v / 4A,is it as good as the 12v / 5A ?

thanks.

before you kill your board:

1. Any voltage supply always must fit the voltage what the device needs exactly,
and deliver at least the demanded max. current.
Example:
If your board requires a 12V/5A input you need to get some power device that delivers 12V(DC), and at least 5A, better a bit more. (old laptop power supply could do the deed.)
Otherwise, with lower voltage, and/or lower current your board will not work, or suddenly black-out,
when there is not the needed the power.
If you set it to too much voltage (e.g. a 14V supply when 12 are needed, or even more)
you will toast your board - and possibly your powersupply, too.

Also if you don't use one that's sold for this board, also test if plus and minus are correct (a cheap 5€ multimeter will do.) Most boards have no probs, but some may react really sensible when voltage is applied reverse.

2. I strongly recommend a heatsink.
If the chip gets hot, shut down immediatly -> heatsink!
Heat kills electroncis.
It may run, but you will shorten life-span significantly!
Check the datasheet, handbook, specs, whatever comes with it;
a passive one (no fan) may be sufficient; get one that's specially sold for the board,
or if you don't mind if it's ugly, get it a big one from an old graphics card.
In electronics shops you also get some rubber-like heat-sink compound like tape;
for the start it's better than to smear with heat-sink-paste, which in most cases is not really healthy, and often used way too much of it.

Is this good ?

I'm not quite sure.
Output seems good to me, if 12V 5A is what your board needs (it's in its specs.)
Since it seems to be an AC/DC-power-supply, but it's sold as a charger... and "tension 100V" rings my alarm bells - (frankly looks a bit cheap to me...)

This ones looks a bit better to me:
LEDMO 12V 5A
Sorry for amazon, but I didn't find any suitable in euronics or Cipir so quickly. (bad websites)

There are also adjustable ones available, you may set from 9V...20V, so it could be used for something else, too.
But the >=5A ones cost a bit more.

Anyhow,
you need ensure 3 things:

1. Check if it is capable of doing 230VC input voltage.
Some can be switched between US-/Northamerican 110V@60Hz and european 230V@50Hz (that's what you have in Italy)
Some others cannot, but are fixed to one input AC voltage only.
Others are capable of automatic switching, which is mentioned in its specs; those are not the cheap ones.

Asking a guy in the electric section of a Cipir, or an euronics could be a good idea,
since judging such things from websites quickly, only... - I always like to look on the real specs written on the real package.
Also that way it's ensured, you get one suitable for Italy,
but don't accidently buy something for 110V (Nort-America), only.

2. If you get a switchable one ensure it's set to your country's net-voltage (in this case 230V) before you plug it in. Otherwise it will be of no use but to produce smoke, and kick the fuse out. 😁

3. Also ensure, as I said, that the adapter fits - mechanically as electrical (plus/minus)
Especially the adjustable ones often come with an assortment of exchangeable connector-plugs; so chances are good, at least one fits.

P.S.:
I just asked myself if not simply a wall-cube for Raspberry Pi could fit.
But those working at 5V.
You are sure your Rockchip board needs 12V?

P.P.S.:
The one you linked in your first post fits, and has a reasonable price.
Where is the prob?

ziomario

Please don't take my word for this but I believe the RockPro64 will boot off the microSD card with only 5V.
Perhaps serial console only. I am pretty sure I tried by accident and it booted.
YMMV....
Give it a whirl. Corruption of microSD is worst that could happen.

I'm not quite sure.
Output seems good to me, if 12V 5A is what your board needs (it's in its specs.)
Since it seems to be an AC/DC-power-supply, but it's sold as a charger... and "tension 100V" rings my alarm bells - (frankly looks a bit cheap to me...)

For that low price,I've bought it. And I have attached the pic of the specs of the adapter. Are they good ?

Untitled.jpg

perfect.
Upper right it says "switching pow{er supply}" That's exactly, what you need.
("Charger" is some selling blabla, but you never know...)

Just ensure it's set to 240V.
And the connector suits your board (powersupply's polarity is marked besides the 12V5A - inside it's plus, outside Ground (GND) aka "Minus") That's so common I'm pretty sure it will fit.

Enjoy your new adventure!

Back