IDE for C with debugging

Please do not think about me as a crazy Windows guy who wants to promote Windows tools in FreeBSD world. I'm not that guy. I do not like Windows. I have to deal with it on a daily basis but I do not like it at all. I love FreeBSD. I'd love to use native, non-Windows tools as much as possible. But I haven't seen IDE for C/C++ as developer-friendly as MSVS is. And if I had chance I'd rather use MSVS than any other IDE with less features and less intelligence.

I dont' know if VS run on a FreeBSD system without Linux emulation layer, Wine, etc., etc., etc. Strictly speaking, on a pure FreeBSD system there are IDEs in the ports that a (normal/advanced) developer may feel good. I mentioned one that in some way is resonable to fit my needs, but as someone stated, each by its own.
Intellisense is good for 'lazy' .NET developers, however it speed up writing code, but essentially it's used to suggest API/struct/class/etc. names, this is what I mean when talk about code indexing, it's merely an help in remember/search/view code in a quick way and (for me) much more in Unix than Windows. Anyways, Monodevelop should be close to VS, I never used it (I have mono installed and use C# for scripting with cs-script, yes, it works on FreeBSD copying the mono .exe), Eclipse is a 'it make all and nothing' thing and can be configured for what needed, I don't know if NetBeans has C/C++ indexing, for my needs it's good for PHP web development and debugging, KDevelop is on my to-do list but no time to compile KDE dependencies.
Finally, I'm not surprised reading drhowarddrfine that only use terminal editors and man pages, it's normal for who knows the system, it's APIs (and data types) and tools (i.e. vim). If I tell you my personal experience with vi (many years ago) you lol for weeks.

I use both kdevelop and qtcreator and find them very good. However, since I'm also a Java developer and use Eclipse, I have to say that there is still a gap between such IDE and the latter. Eclipse has so many features for code refactoring and quick help that it kicks the other IDEs. A stupid example: you cna configure both qtcreator and kdevelop to place a closing bracket when you open one. Now eclipse is smart enough to see if, due to a overwriting, there is already a closing bracket and does not place it, the former IDEs do! Another stupid example: when using code assistant to overwrite a property name the property is not overwritten, but just shifted to right and you have to manually delete it.
Anyway, I think Eclipse is not good enough as C/C++ IDE (too complicated to set up) and that KDevelop is the winning one on a day-by-day usage.
This is my opinion.

There are some things newer IDEs (like Xcode for example) can do that you simply can't do with a couple of xterms.

Like, replace all in scope, tab completion of variable and function names, etc.

If you're productive with vi/emacs and make, good for you, but there's a whole heap of functionality in modern IDEs that some people would most certainly miss.

As I understand it, CLANG should pave the way for way better open source IDEs.

freethread said:
I dont' know if VS run on a FreeBSD system without Linux emulation layer, Wine, etc., etc., etc.

He runs it on Windows box.

P.S. Re IDEs, emacs etc, people have preferences and habits. When I had a car with manual gear box 10 years ago, I was always laughing and critisising those who drove on automatic gear box. When I tried it by myself, I became spoiled and now all my cars have it.

I would not be surprised if Doctor will change his mind after he tries MSVS for year or so. Anyway, it sounds like a holy war to me :) There are no winners in holy wars :)

vand777 said:
He runs it on Windows box.

Ah, ok.

vand777 said:
P.S. Re IDEs, emacs etc, people have preferences and habits. When I had a car with manual gear box 10 years ago, I was always laughing and critisising those who drove on automatic gear box. When I tried it by myself, I became spoiled and now all my cars have it.

I would not be surprised if Doctor will change his mind after he tries MSVS for year or so. Anyway, it sounds like a holy war to me :) There are no winners in holy wars :)

I don't think this is a holy war, I see only opinions. Holy wars are wasting of time (and there's no way to see a drop of blood). The thread title is vague eachone ask in a different way, it's useful to learn something new, or at least Twister has more informations to play with.

vand777 said:
I would not be surprised if Doctor will change his mind after he tries MSVS for year or so.
I own VS. It was the first thing we got when we got into the web dev business.

I don't/won't use VS. You NEED it for the tens of thousands of .NET libraries/objects/system calls/etc. or you'd never keep track of them. You do NOT need it for *nix. And it takes almost as long to figure out how to use that as it does emacs. emacs is more flexible. I'd rather use emacs.

In fact, we do!

Sorry, Doctor! I was wrong about you :)

Anyway, as I mentioned it's all about habits and preferences. People are different. Whatever is good for one person might be unacceptable for another.

vand777 said:
Anyway, as I mentioned it's all about habits and preferences. People are different. Whatever is good for one person might be unacceptable for another.
Exactly. What ticked me off was remarks along the line of "not using an IDE is a complete waste of time" and that sort of thing. In fact, I remember a "disagreement" I had with the Doctor some time ago about the exact same thing: whether or not a certain tool is a necessity.

Bottom line is that we all have different ways of doing things. One way is not necessarily better than the other, it depends on personal preference. And the tool that one person can't do without is the same tool that another person needs as much as a toothache.

Live and let live (or die). If you are very happy with a certain tool, good for you. But don't try to tell me that someone else has to use the same tool in order to be taken seriously.

Fonz

Back