Other Icewm startup file not working.

pretty much all of the other configuration text files work but i cannot get startup to work. i got it there by poking it. Read arch wiki and other wikis but i still have no clue on how to get the startup file to work. This is what i have in my startup file.
#!/bin/bash

nitrogen --restore &
sleep 1 &&

I have no clue about an "Icewm startup file", but: With #!/bin/bash you're declaring an interpreter to executing your script, but I'm sure /bin/bash doesn't exist on your FreeBSD; As your script is really simple you may use #!/bin/sh instead.

Second you're sending nitrogen with the & in the background, so it goes immediately to the second line - which ends with two &; && is for chaining more than one command, but there is no other one. Also your second command says sleep - but what for?

After changing to #!/bin/sh remove sleep 1 &&, try again. Make sure to set the execution permission to the startup file. If sysutils/nitrogen doesn't set a background try:

~/.icewm/startup
Code:
#!/bin/sh

sleep 1 &&
nitrogen --restore &

chmod 700 ~/.icewm/startup

icewm-startup(5)
i did this and it did not work, i also did chmod 700 ~/.icewm/startup is that the command to give the file execution permission because i do not know the command to do that

Also I'm kind of sick of icewm, what other lightweight window manager should I use, also give me a manual/tutorial on how to set it up. Any will be fine but I have never used a tiling wm so if I don't like it don't be surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also im kind of sick of icewm, what other lightweight window manager should i use, also give me a manual/tutorial on how to set it up. (any will be fine but i have never used a tiling wm so if i dont like it dont be surprised)
Nvm I'm fine with icewm I will probably make another post on the forums on how to debloat my system because it uses 246MB of ram with just htop open. also I can't find a good lightweight browser that works on FreeBSD.

Last edited by a moderator:
... i did this and it did not work ...
Does sysutils/nitrogen set a background when executed from a X terminal? One of my window mangers is x11-wm/icewm. I have set in ~/.icewm/setup graphics/feh to draw a background.

Also im kind of sick of icewm, what other lightweight window manager should i use, also give me a manual/tutorial on how to set it up.
Have a look at x11-wm/jwm, one of my other window manager I use. Manual: jwm(1).

i did this and it did not work, i also did chmod 700 ~/.icewm/startup is that the command to give the file execution permission because i do not know the command to do that
If you're just executing icewm your ~/.icewm/startup won't be executed; You'll need the IceWM session therefore: use icewm-session instead of icewm; T-Daemon example works. man icewm

And: Tutorial might not help you. If it wasn't written especially for FreeBSD (and belongs to the version you're using), you always need to a) understand it, and b) transfer its content; With copy&paste you will always need a good portion of luck.

About chmod: Just read its manual: man chmod; That can be done with nearly every command…

Check your .xsession or .xinitrc to see if your running icewm or icewm-session. Your startup file will not work if your not using icewm-session which would be the reason why. Found the information in the Archwiki which does a good job covering icewm.

For IceWM, I set the background in a different way like this, ~/.icewm/preferences:
Code:
DesktopBackgroundImage="/home/myfolder/backgrounds/fireice1.jpg"

Then, I ran icewmbg -p to get it up immediately. Also, it needs to be started with exec icewm-session for icewmbg to start up, similiarly to what others have said about other programs starting up with IceWM.

I wrote about a few settings in IceWM under the spoiler tag of this post, Thread screenshots-of-bsd-window-managers-for-x11.81505/#post-524990.

IceWM is my favorite, I use .xinitrc to launch things for example:

sudo nano /home/bobo/.xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh

firefox &
setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
xsetroot -solid black
xrdb -merge .Xdefaults
unclutter -idle 2 &
numlockx &
#xmodmap .xmodmaprc

exec icewm

Back