Other i3wm/xfce samba share access

Hi everyone.
Something seems to be not loading when I boot with i3wm that work's fine with xfce.
When I boot xfce I can access my samba shares via thunar just fine example smb://192.168.1.?
But when I try in i3wm I get Failed to open "/on". Operation not supported. Is there something simple I missing?
Appreciate any help Thank You.

Hi,

This one was a bit tricky to solve.
Try to launch i3 with these options in .xinitrc

Code:
# i3
exec dbus-launch --sh-syntax ck-launch-session i3

Hi Misirca
Hi,

This one was a bit tricky to solve.
Try to launch i3 with these options in .xinitrc

Code:
# i3
Hi Misirca,
that didnt seem to work.
Thunar is still showing "Missing Dependencies" and it's saying gvfs is not available even though gvfs is installed.
that "dependency" error doesn't show up in xfce. I also notice when in xfce I can access shares but can't play movies from my local network. I'm also looking into that, seems it works if I mount the share, which is the workaround i'm using now.

Well, I think I also installed additional packages to make it work (solved this a few months ago, cant remember precisely 🥵)

Check these packages are installed:
Code:
gvfs-1.30.4_3                  GNOME virtual file system
consolekit2-1.2.1_1            Framework for defining and tracking users
fusefs-smbnetfs-0.6.1_3        Mount smb shares (Fuse filesystem)
samba410-4.10.15               Free SMB/CIFS and AD/DC server and client for Unix

Also check for this:
/boot/loader.conf
Code:
(...)
fuse_load="YES"
(...)

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
(...)
fusefs_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
(...)

~/.xinitrc
Code:

Hi Misirca,
I tried all of that and none of it made a difference. Thanks for your help, but I've kinda of given up on this for now.
I notice when xfce is loaded, all kinds of gvfs stuff is loaded. I don't know how to duplicate it in i3/freebsd. I wish I could get it working
since I only use i3 and I would definitely replace a few machines with freebsd. This isn't a complete deal breaker just a bit of a hassle to deal with.

I almost gave up on i3 because of this bug, until one day, it worked.

I reviewed all my fish shell history but couldn't nail it.

If I have the time, I will restart a fresh install, step by step, and try to make it work again.

I'll be back :cool:

HI Misirca, been working on this here and there (freebsd is a VM I'm working on, until i get a few things worked out and move to hardware)
I noticed in /var/run/user/1001/gfvs I can't change gvfs folder to r-w-x it only has r--x. In xfce it has r-w-x. In both i3 and xfce the folder gvfs
is owned by user. Is this something related?

I installed a bunch of stuff but don't remember what I installed to get this working but it works, though
it's really slow and crashes xfce (complete freeze). So I just continue to use NFS that mounts at boot
time via a cronjob.

With the update of devel/gvfs to 1.46 the fuse module is broken. This is maybe connected with some Gnome and Linux dependency crap. So there is nothing mounted in /var/run/user/1001/gvfs.

A temporary solution would be to mount the smb share manually, e.g. when you start x11-wm/i3. Put your samba credentials in a file ~/smb_cred like this
Code:
USER
WORKGROUP
PASSWORD
Next start i3 with dbus-launch
Code:
dbus-launch --exit-with-session i3
and then add
Code:
gio mount smb://SMBSERVER/SHARED_FOLDER < ~/smb_cred
to the autostarts of i3 (dont know how i3 handles it). This works for me with x11-fm/pcmanfm and should also work with thunar. One drawback of this solution is that you dont get a mountpoint in the local filesystem (due to the broken fuse module) and so you cant use tools like net/rsync.

If you still resort to samba v1 you can also use mount_smbfs(8) and mount your share via etc/fstab.

I still mount nfs via (/etc/exports) and it works faster and flawless. smb via thunar I did get working, but still could not play video over it.
I had to add gvfsd-smb to my i3 config. Im still playing with this. Gonna make a VM and post exactly how I get it working. Again I was able to browse
my samba shares via ip address in thunar just to be clear.

Hi,

I'm back :)

I just reinstalled a FBSD desktop from scratch and came up against the same samba browsing problem.
After a few more days pulling my hair out, I finally found the answer.

1 - You need a valid /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf file.
A sample can be found here. Customize according to your network.

2 - Insert this line in the [global] section:
/usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
Code:
[global]
client min protocol = NT1
I can now browse windows shares with i3wm, using thunar or pcmanfm.

Caution: there might be security issues using an older SAMBA protocol. For personal use only :)

Hi Misirca,
Thanks for the help. I can browse samba shares now.
I'm using a simpler smb4.conf file but it works, I still can't play movies/videos over samba share
but I had this working before so I believe it's a permission's issue I need to figure out.

twllnbrck you are right in that there's nothing in /var/run/user/1001/gvfs (no gvfs folder at all, unlike on my arch machine)
your solution is to much work for me though lol. Thank You for the response, I have two freebsd machines now and one is my main PC.
So I will continue to learn and use freebsd and I'm enjoying this forum's content.

Back