Solved I2P for local network: "Connection refused"

D

Deleted member 67862

So I've been trying to use i2p more often (Im using the .jar from the official website since i2p in ports is outdated), but the most annoying thing is using it on a main desktop computer so whenever you reboot it has to restart and build tunnels all over again. I see a lot of people set it up on a Raspberry Pi or other side computer so it can stay up with peers. I've been trying to do this on an old computer (running FreeBSD 13.0-p7) that I have no other use for, but I'm having trouble with "Connection refused" despite that the client is running and no firewall is enabled. I even set firewall_type="open" as a test and still have no way of accessing the console and other utilities that the I2P client comes with at 127.0.0.1.

Things Ive tried:
* Opening ipfw
* Stopping ipfw
* Putting firewall_myservices="4444/tcp (and so forth)" in /etc/rc.conf with firewall enabled and the type set then restarting

SSH works. I understand that running without a firewall is not safe and I would like to only enable the ports that I need to have this working myself, but I'm addled as to how I'm still unable to see anything with no firewall? There is some discrepancy I am not aware of. Anyone with an idea of whats going on here is greatly appreciated.

So I've been trying to use i2p more often (Im using the .jar from the official website since i2p in ports is outdated),
Can you elaborate on i2p being outdated in ports? (latest release is 2.4.1.0 , ports has this too.)
Are you possibly using the quarterly branch of ports?

Or are you talking about the client side?
Can you point me to the port in question I'll have a look at it then.

driesm i2pd is a different software than i2p ;) But that said, why not try i2pd? It's a light-weight alternative and works very well for me.

Then I'm not sure I understand the description: Are you running i2p on a "different computer" and trying 127.0.0.1 to connect to it? 🤔

For clarification:
  • I2P is the original software written in Java. In addition to the I2P router, it includes some additional tools
  • i2pd is a reimplementation of (just) the I2P router in C++, but includes everything needed to use the I2P network (you can also configure custom tunnels, for example).
I'd personally recommend i2pd, it's somewhat light-weight and there is a well working FreeBSD port.

driesm But that said, why not try i2pd? It's a light-weight alternative and works very well for me.
Then I'm not sure I understand the description: Are you running i2p on a "different computer" and trying 127.0.0.1 to connect to it? 🤔
I know about i2pd and I use this on my server to host an eepsite, but I like the official client more for browsing since it has the really nice home screen with address book, i2psnark, susimail, and more.

With that said, yes I am using my desktop computer to try and look at 127.0.0.1, but I just realized this is localhost so I guess its only looking at the computer Im using?

To me it seems that OP is trying to run the client without the server running, so no socket is opened on 127.0.0.1 and thus connection refused.
To clarify this is being done in a CLI so I had to run /runplain.sh in i2p's home directory to start i2p. I just realized I get this error:

./runplain.sh: cannot create %SYSTEM_java_io_tmpdir/router.pid: No such file or directory

EDIT: I don't have to run ./runplain.sh now, i2prouter seems to work with openjdk 11. Still unable to do anything on any other PC.

UPDATE

I finally got it to work by forwarding port 7657 (the official I2P clients router console) via ssh to the localhost on my desktop pc. All I need to do now is figure out how to tighten it without breaking what I just accomplished :)

Back