I wish to replicate /usr/local/bin on Windows

Rastko

I have lots of "no-install" software on Windows, and wish to centralize the location of the binaries, but I am faced with a conundrum.

As opposed to BSD and other UNIX-like systems, Windows expects main package binaries, supporting binaries, libraries and config files in a single location/directory, which makes dispersing the binaries around nearly impossible. On the other hand, it seems quite unnatural to add every "no-install" location to the executable path.

How does BSD achieves it? I know a lot of "bin" files are actually shell scripts, or symbolic links to such and such, but there seems to be more to it than meets the eye.

Beastie

Daemon

As opposed to BSD and other UNIX-like systems, Windows expects main package binaries, supporting binaries, libraries and config files in a single location/directory
That's only partially accurate. While most programs will have a bunch of .DLLs sitting along with the main .EXE each in their own subdirectory under %ProgramFiles% (or %ProgramFiles(x86)%), settings are always expected to be stored under %AppData% (or the HKCU registry hive). Only older programs - or badly-designed ones - will break this rule. Also a lot of general-purpose libraries will go into %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 and %SystemRoot%\System32. And ProgramData bears a similarity to /var.
While all this is not always the case, nowadays filesystem hierarchy is less of a mess than it used to be in the Windows 9x era.

How does BSD achieves it?
Very easily by having 1) a clearly-defined filesystem hierarchy, 2) configuring software at build-time to be standard-compliant, and 3) providing appropriate patches for the not-so-well-behaved ones (e.g. hardcoded Linux-specific paths).

Windows simply has a different way of storing things and you have to live with it.