I Want to use the CLI more.

ckester said:
Yeah, I saw that and fetched a copy for myself. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Does Webkit 1.1.7 require similar patches to any other ports, or does it build with the versions in the current portstree?

I just installed the newer webkit, and it worked fine without any other patches to ports. Unfortunately, it looks like the webkit port has been updated since the PR was filed, so you may have to do some manual patching to make everything work cleanly.

fiftyone said:
howdy all.

Just a quick question I am hoping someone can give me some advice.
I am not new to the command line, I know a whole lot of commands and I do use it occasionally, however, I want to use it more often so I can master it.

The problem I have is that I don't know when to use it? I mean If you are compileing some source or something or moving some files around... but I find 90% of my daily activities take place in the GUI. Videos, reading BSD manuals, music etc. all done in KDE.

Call me strange but I wish I could flip my useage to like 80% CLI and 20% GUI. I find myself sitting at the CLI wanting to do something but all I end up doing is pwd... ls ... cd ... and then I go back to KDE. I need something with some substance so I can find myself in the CLI for a couple hours a day so after some time it comes as natural as click clickking.

Any advice?

speaking from personal experience, the best way i learned command line was by setting up remote machines and setting up stuff like rtorrent, apache, Unrealircd, PureFTPD...it's not so much the USING command line, as it is setting stuff up....
For me, i started with easy stuff, then i'd run into issues that could be solved with command line scripts..then i'd have to research how to solve some problem. I'd read online documentation and ask questions but each issue i tackle, i learn a new trick. The more tricks you learn, the better you get, and also, the more stuff you end up doing...you find that the command line options are often much quicker. At first it's daunting but the more you do it, the easier it gets...and the more fun it gets.

Further to the previous post...

How about setting yourself the task of setting up a full web server, via the CLI? - Apache, PHP, PostgreSQL (MySQL if you must...) - all inside a jail(8)? First you get the task of preparing the jail, which you can then treat as a virtual server in its own right. Configure ssh public key, mod_sec, whatever. Lots of things to configure and tweak, plus no risk of damaging your 'real' environment.

Just a thought.

sim

I started with finding replacements for the X applications i ran with console apps. The original motivation was to leave my stuff running in a screen session so i could have easy access to my things remotely.

In the process I picked up a lot of new tricks and dont use X much at all anymore. When i do use it ill run a tiling window manager like scrotwm just to use firefox, and attach my screen session with everything else in xterm.

Beastie said:
Maybe you could try graphics/epdfview. It's the lightest, fastest and most simple PDF viewer, and it has keyboard shortcuts for virtually everything.

I don't like acroread because it's heavy but the only reason why I still have it is because it has an option to index your search instead of just the basic search that jumps from one page to another based on the keyword that you're looking for. If there's other app that has this feature I'll definitely switch from acroread for good.

+1 for the idea of using a tiling window manager as a way to ease into more CLI use.

My current favorite tiling window manager is musca. It has very intuitive default keybindings and can be used in both tiled and untiled modes. Easily configured via ~/.musca_start. By default, it uses dmenu as a program launcher and for access to musca commands.

jrick said:
Or try this: instead of using KDE (which encourages all of its own GUI applications) install a tiling window manager such as dwm, wmii, awesome, xmonad, or scrotwm. Tiling window managers work great if all you are using are terminals, and because most of them discourage the use of the mouse, you'll often find that you won't even want to use a GUI application.

Here's my setup to give you some ideas (using terminals for everything except web browsing and viewing PDFs):
  • xmonad as my wm
  • rxvt-unicode for my terminal emulator
  • vim for my editor
  • mutt+offlineimap for my mail (previously I used alpine)
  • xmms2 for music (using nycli for my client)
  • LaTeX for writing documents
  • weechat for IRC
  • uzbl for web browsing (although I also like and use elinks)
  • xpdf for PDFs (anybody have any other suggestions? I'm not too happy with xpdf, isn't very keyboard friendly.)

You could try
mrxvt (multi tab)
epdfview, gv for you pdf

jrick said:
[*]xpdf for PDFs (anybody have any other suggestions? I'm not too happy with xpdf, isn't very keyboard friendly.)
[/LIST]

xpdf-utils is a set of packages that contains a program, pdftotext, that can be used to convert pdf files to regular "*.txt" files. In a console, the converted txt file can easily be read with a number of tools (cat, vi, nano, less, etc). This is helped me out a number of times.

"GUI? we don't don't need no stinking GUI!" To be a cli purist, try watching more multimedia with aalib output, ie: aaxine. ;)

Although I'm kidding, aalib output is a slick novelty to show your windows friends - though they may not be able to appreciate it....

Back