I have feeling that 9.0 is out...

ph0enix said:
I just upgraded from CVS but it gave me 9.0-STABLE instead of 9.0-RELEASE.

tag=RELENG_9 would do this, as that tracks 9-STABLE.
tag=RELENG_9_0 is what you should be using, as that tracks 9.0-RELEASE+security fixes.

phoenix said:
tag=RELENG_9 would do this, as that tracks 9-STABLE.
tag=RELENG_9_0 is what you should be using, as that tracks 9.0-RELEASE+security fixes.

That was my mistake. Thank you!

alex67500 said:
From what I understood earlier in the conversation, the build isn't the longest bit, but shipment to distribution points is.

And the shipment is the difficult part. Copies are made from one site to another, bandwidth is limited. Takes time. I am guessing a lot of the copying is partly manual, people have other tasks to attend to and are not employed full-time to keep their mirror up to date.

Since the sources are open, it will obviously be visible that a release is near.

In my mind the release is available when the official release announcement is made, not before.

[CMD=""]# freebsd-update upgrade -r 9.0-RELEASE[/CMD]

Is available but it's not announced officially yet.

alie said:
Is available but its not announced officially yet.
I checked: several European mirrors (and we're not talking Andorra or San Marino here) still don't have it. So I guess if you're waiting for the official announcement you'll have to wait some more.

Fonz

srivo said:
Do the updated image will be able to install zfs partition?

My guess is that only some packages may differ since both CD and memstick images remain unchanged.

For a ZFS install you can follow my guides, here and here.

Just upgraded from 8-STABLE to 9-STABLE, previously I booted (like on the other v9 machines) with acpi disabled. (option #4 on the new menu). Do not know if it is from the custom kernel (added stuff mostly), but that panics on atkbdc0 (sic? ... keyboard) immediately and will not complete the boot. Acpi enabled, boots fine (Luckily! no restore v8 required.) Secondly, trying to
Code:
 kill 2 pgrep mous
before X hangs the machine, hard reboot required. Backed the mouse out of rc.conf to fix that (seldom use it out of X anyway.)

Next curiosity, one port failed to build, and sendmail would not work.
using (after getting source code newly)
Code:
 make clean; make obj; make depend; make; make install
in

/usr/src/gnu, /usr/src/lib/libsm; /usr/src/libsmutil/ and /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail
(and another one I've forgotten) (luckily found online in an april 2010 thread, maybe from a mailing list) fixed all that. Hope that helps someone, however the question for this post, is why does the
page up key seem to not work in v9 vs v8 in $PAGER? /lookat/ in this case? The up arrow, substituting for it, is much slower. (BTW just found out that it still works from within /roxterm/ for some reason.)

Back