ZFS I have 3 usb disks all zfs

and I keep same fiels on all 3
each a pool
because I afraid if I merge all teh disk in 1 pool
then a fault im screwed

what think?

You can't "merge" two existing pools. You'd have to destroy both pools and build a new one.

I have 2 USB disks with ZFS. I set them up in a mirror. If one fails, the other still has the data.

To better understand how it all works, I intentionally disconnected one of the drive while it was running. I still had access to the data. I was able to re-integrate the disk and "resilver" after the fact.

My disks are a pair of WD MyPassport 2TB USB3 disks. They had about 400GB of data on them when I ran the test. Resilver took a while (something under 2 hours).

One important think I noticed, there is not any sort of obvious notification that the disk was missing. Just some log messages and the usual notification of the disk disappearing in /var/log/messages. I need to add more robust notification so I get notified if one of the disks has a problem.

One important think I noticed, there is not any sort of obvious notification that the disk was missing.
Recent versions of FreeBSD have gotten zfsd(8) for this exact purpose. It will automatically enable hot-spares and do some fault resolving. I would expect it to complain loudly if any of the existing pools become degraded. It doesn't seem to have been backported to 10.x though, but 11.1 should have it.

Recent versions of FreeBSD have gotten zfsd(8) for this exact purpose. It doesn't seem to have been backported to 10.x though, but 11.1 should have it.

Oh good. I haven't started my upgrade to 11, still on 10.3. I meant to do it in the spring but I got busy with other things. Now I'm planning to do so a month or so after 11.1 gets released.

Back