I Changed Some Wi-Fi Settings. What Should I Do?

I changed some Wi-Fi settings, including the password and the security protocol, but my FreeBSD computer is still somehow able to connect to the network and I have Internet access. Still, is there anything I should do with this FreeBSD computer? I'm a noob, so if you could please respond in plain English that would be nice.

Are you sure you're connected with wireless? Maybe you're actually connected with an ethernet cable? Or perhaps your wireless is connected to your neighbors?

I am not connected with an Ethernet cable, so it must still be connecting to the Wi-Fi network I selected when I installed FreeBSD.

I am not connected with an Ethernet cable, so it must still be connecting to the Wi-Fi network I selected when I installed FreeBSD.
Please have a look in your /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. One entry should be related to your own Wi-Fi network. But there can be some kind of open entry for fall-back or whatever. I do not have the details in mind. But if it is there and your card picks up a DHCP offer from a different system than yours it might be happy to accept that.

I ran # cat /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, and it seems to have the correct ssid and psk. So should I change anything? I did previously update the security protocol; is this something I need to update in FreeBSD?

Dear Scribner,
do you have only one section starting with network{? I am not sure if there are two blocks by default. I have checked one laptop where I have commented out
Code:
network{
priority=0
key_mgmt=NONE
}
That is what I meant with fall back entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back