I can't boot up my RPI4

Hi, just i was trying to install freebsd on my rpi4. Maybe i'm doing something wrong, i follow the steps to burn the img file but when i put my sdcard on rpi4 and turn it on nothing happens, just black screen.

Please help !!!

RPI4 uses a different boot method to RPI3. FreeBSD 13 is the current basis for RPI4 (If I recall correctly).

It does boot, but there are other issues. This is usual with such a closed-source SoC.

Others can answer to the status of it.

All those ARM SoCs are very linuxish, sadly so. Another argument for my mantra: there's much benefit in widening FreeBSD's userbase, since then the vendors would have a reason to take care for a better portability. The trend for ARM on consumer devices goes up steadily, and FreeBSD is far behind.

FreeBSD 13 is the current basis for RPI4 (If I recall correctly).

That seems to be the case. Skimming through the freebsd-arm mailing list archive mails suggests the RPI4 requires 13-CURRENT for the time being.

To the OP, if the official 13-CURRENT RPI3 image doesn't boot ( latest image from 2020-Aug-13 ), there is a step by step guide from a subscriber of the August 2020 mails how to bring the RPI4 to boot:

According to the wiki regarding the RPI4: "you will get a nearly fully working RPI4(both 4&8GB-models) TODAY , means : HDMI/USB keyboard/mouse/USB-HDD/Gigabit Ethernet".

All those ARM SoCs are very linuxish, sadly so. Another argument for my mantra: there's much benefit in widening FreeBSD's userbase, since then the vendors would have a reason to take care for a better portability. The trend for ARM on consumer devices goes up steadily, and FreeBSD is far behind.
This is true but nearly all of the SoCs I've looked at have native support by their creators for Linux. Because it's such a closed source, secretive society around ARM I'm convinced FreeBSD should put its resources towards a future of RISC five.

Back