I cannot stop X

OP
unInstance

unInstance

I use dwm. If I run X, then switch to the TTY I started it from, then I can press ^C to successfully close it. But, if I close it via the dwm shortcut, then I can see just a black screen with the mouse pointer and terminal cursor with no ability to switch TTY's.

Attachments

• IMG_20211023_093717.jpg
    IMG_20211023_093717.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19

grahamperrin

Son of Beastie

Thanks,

… 13.0 does not even boot for me.

– do you mean, the installer for 13.0-RELEASE?

Or did you ugprade, find difficulty then revert to a boot environment with 12.2-RELEASE⋯?

The superior OS allows superior DRM (for graphics). It will be good to know exactly what happened when boot failed. A photograph, if you like. A separate topic for 13.0-RELEASE⋯

12.2 used to work just fine until I tried to update to 13.0

Try:
  1. 12.2-RELEASE-p10
  2. create, activate then boot a new boot environment
  3. without starting a desktop environment
  4. pkg upgrade -f
  5. reboot

OP
unInstance

unInstance

Thanks,

– do you mean, the installer for 13.0-RELEASE?

Or did you ugprade, find difficulty then revert to a boot environment with 12.2-RELEASE⋯?

The superior OS allows superior DRM (for graphics). It will be good to know exactly what happened when boot failed. A photograph, if you like. A separate topic for 13.0-RELEASE⋯

Try:
  1. 12.2-RELEASE-p10
  2. create, activate then boot a new boot environment
  3. without starting a desktop environment
  4. pkg upgrade -f
  5. reboot
13 installation media panics on boot for the first time, then it boots fine if I just restart it. It is completely random.

Now I have a clean 12.2 install and this issue with X just happens for some reason.

Kaminar

I have similar issues in 12.2-p10 with syscons. I recently upgraded packages, and since time X has often problem with shutdown.

If I quit E16, X will hang for a few seconds. The console appears, but it's frozen. I have to switch to another console and then back. When I switch back to the first console, the console is normal again and message is on the screen that X server shutdowning is slow and must be killed.

In the X log is nothing special.