I cannot get KDE to work

Hi!

I'm a total noob at FreeBSD but I kinda learn fast these basic steps into unix because I tried it several times but now it really got me.

I am running FreeBSD 7.1 as a virtual machine in vmware workstation 6.5 (winxp sp 3, latest updates). At the time I have a fresh installation, 32 GB of virtual disk (pre-allocated) and vmware tools installed. I also did portsnapt fetch and portsnap extract. My port collection was installed with system install process.

I have tried several times to install KDE through ports with make install clean, but it wont do - no matter what version; 3.5 or 4, they went wrong. As soon as it fetches for some files it then grinds for 6-7 hours just to finish the unpacking and download and in the end telling me that something went wrong etc. etc.
I cannot seem to get this thing working. So now I have the above setup with working internet, updated ports, compat6x installed and vmware tools up and configured (it made an xorg.conf file or something like that). My only wish is to have a desktop environment no matter what version of kde... what do you suggest?
I think this was probably discussed numerous times and I have read the handbook's section of installing kde, but it doesn't work for me.

So what should I type next? ;)

Thank you all!

I suggest you try to install kde from packages
with pkg_add -r .....

In Ports there are few giants: KDE, Gnome, OpenOffice.org that takes many hours to compile (even more on virtual machines)

I tried it again with just "make" command and see what will happen.

This is the error I got:

pka-Clipr.jpg

trying adding the package now ... ;)

I would use the following commands:

# pkg_add -r xorg

# pkg_add -r kde

I always install a base system then install xorg and kde with pkg_add. I run FreeBSD on older Plll boxes so compiling KDE from ports takes days.

when I try to update xorg it says that I already have the latest updates and stops fetching.

I tried to add kde with "pkg_add -r kde4" but won't work either. Stops somewhere in between and cannot find some package on freebsd ftp site.

now trying pkg_add -r kde only... will see what will happen.

everything finished fine and to my surprise the process took only an hour or so.

now I have kde 3.5 working somehow, root login enabled, but seems like I cannot leave kde. when I hit ctrl alt bckspc it tries to logout to command line but reloads almost instantly.

I'm also starting kde with kdm command, not startkde (this one is not working). I kinda want to keep the manual start since basic learning principles always lay at the command line, but I'm curious why startkde doesn't want to run.

KDM can start more than just KDE, so technically speaking you do exit KDE. ;)

As for startkde, that starts the different parts of KDE, but not the X server - since that's not a KDE program. I'd suggest editing or creating ~/.xinitrc so it contains exec startkde , and then using startx.

dangertest said:
now I have kde 3.5 working somehow, root login enabled, but seems like I cannot leave kde. when I hit ctrl alt bckspc it tries to logout to command line but reloads almost instantly.

Ctrl-Alt-Bcksc
restarts X. It's useful when KDE crashes, but it's not a way to get back to the CLI.
Try Ctrl-Alt-Function Key to get a new command line. KDE will still be running on the original terminal.

Back