i can uninstall kde?

pkg_delete -fx kde will forcibly remove anything with kde in the name. This might or might not be what you want.

Install sysutils/pkg_remove and issue pkg_remove kde. This will uninstall anything with kde in the name and any ports that depend on any removed ports. Use pkg_remove -n first to have it report to you what it will remove before actually doing it. You may end up removing more than you bargained for.

try it

Code:
# cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg_cleanup
# make install clean

pkg_cleanup can help you to delete a dependent tree of a ports.
for example:
start pkg_clean, select kde, and select ok.
this action will delete kde ports and all of its dependicies which was not be required by other ports or say leave dependicy ports.

Djn said:
pkg_delete -fx kde will forcibly remove anything with kde in the name. This might or might not be what you want.

# pkg_delete -xfri kde would be better.
  • -x tells it to search for any packages with "kde" in the name
  • -f tells it to forcibly remove the package, even if there are other packages that depend on it
  • -r tells it to remove dependent packages as well
  • -i tells it to ask you whether or not to remove the package, before actually removing it, in case there are some you want to keep

phoenix said:
# pkg_delete -xfri kde would be better.
  • -x tells it to search for any packages with "kde" in the name
  • -f tells it to forcibly remove the package, even if there are other packages that depend on it
  • -r tells it to remove dependent packages as well
  • -i tells it to ask you whether or not to remove the package, before actually removing it, in case there are some you want to keep

As I understand it, -r will only delete packages which depend on the ones being removed, not packages which were dependencies for the removed packages. Packages like qt won't be removed using this command.

I would recommend (after this advice) to use a tool such as ports-mgmt/pkg_cutleaves or ports-mgmt/pkg-orphan which will run through the entire list of all ports which are not dependencies of other ports. Then, you can select and delete the ones you know you do not use. I haven't used pkg_cutleaves, but I know that in pkg-orphan you can have a save list so it doesn't keep asking you for ports you always use every time you run it.

pkg_cutleaves has an exclude option as well:

Code:
/usr/local/etc/pkg_leaves.exclude

-x  Exclude packages matching expressions given in the exclude file

I would recommend pkg_remove -n kde and see what's there and if it seems fine run pkg_remove kde

I've tried using pkg_cutleaves and it ask me if I want to delete a lot of misc packages...and the actual kde files were still there such as kdegames, etc...

pkg_remove worked for me.

worked a charm

pkg_remove -n kde

pkg_remove -xf kde ( i did take into consideration what would be affected by removing kde !! use caution )

Back