I am home at long last in FreeBSD

I hope I am not violating forum rules. I just want to shout from the rooftops how good this feels. In corporate life I was obliged to use win and ibm mainframe stuff. At night in my private life, I have used linux exclusively for about half a decade, since win10. But Mordor casting its baneful and withering gaze into linuxland caused me to look elsewhere.

After playing around with a FreeBSD virtual machine a while, I felt I was finally ready to put on my grown up pants and install it as my daily driver OS / home server. So I took the plunge yesterday and have done so.

Nothing in life worth having comes free, and that includes computers. I feel any learning curve is paid off in a manifestly more robust system. I had no idea how OSS would outshine ALSA / pulse, for a concrete example.

The forum rules ban kvetching that BSD ain't the other guys. I am here to celebrate that difference!

Thanks community!

I had no idea how OSS would outshine ALSA / pulse, for a concrete example.
There was a time when Linux had a good (by the standards back then) implementation of OSS. It never came close to the quality of today's implementation in FreeBSD of course. When Linux wasn't satisfied with it any more, it was replaced by a completely new (and, IMHO, over-complicated) design. This seems to be a general pattern with Linux: Just throw all over on problems; there are other examples like devd. In contrast, FreeBSD spends more thought about how you could improve and still keep well-known (and working) interfaces.

If FreeBSD is for you, you'll quickly notice and appreciate the difference, like you did ;)

Back