Solved I actidently rm /home/user and lost everything, now it not letting me log in via slim

I think this should be the pace it has to do with the login via slim and xorg.

I lightly modded a script then ran it at the end it has a command to rm the working dir I forgot about, and because I changed paths in there, it invertenly rm /home/userx then stopped there only due to permissions iusse.

then when I tried to look up how tos on it firefox did not work, so I logged out, took my phone got the info I needed, deleteed the user, re-created the user
rmuser
adduser

got that back and even rebooted and when I try to log in using slim I gives me a I forget the actual message but it fails to log in . I am in Linux right now. and am going to reboot into Fbsd as I remove the line in rc.conf for slim and am going to try startx. just to see if that will give me a desktop.

so any suggestions on what might be preventing slim from letting me "a new user" to log in and how to fix that would be accepted. thanks.

In my hast I forgot FreeBSD takes it down to the very basics and I had to create an .xinitrc and fix that frist to get slim to work properly.

I lightly modded a script then ran it at the end it has a command to rm the working dir I forgot about, and because I changed paths in there, it invertenly rm /home/userx then stopped there only due to permissions iusse.
Congratulations! Welcome to the club! We've all done things that went horribly wrong.

No need to add or remove users, they're still there. Just look at the entries in /etc/passwd and you'll see where the home directories should be. It's either /home or, more traditionally, /usr/home. Just recreate the directories again and make sure to set the correct ownership (chown(8)/chmod(1)). Those new directories don't have any ~/.cshrc or ~/.profile files, you can find the standard system ones in /usr/share/skel/.

Congratulations! Welcome to the club! We've all done things that went horribly wrong.

No need to add or remove users, they're still there. Just look at the entries in /etc/passwd and you'll see where the home directories should be. It's either /home or, more traditionally, /usr/home. Just recreate the directories again and make sure to set the correct ownership (chown(8)/chmod(1)). Those new directories don't have any ~/.cshrc or ~/.profile files, you can find the standard system ones in /usr/share/skel/.
yeah I know the user is still there, but again in my hast in not knowing FreeBSD all that well when I do a really nice got me, I already knew everything in the home dir was wiped so I just deleted it and recreated it, because I wanted to know these commands too, as I've see some differences between Linux and FreeBSD in admin commands,

luckily it wasn't all that hard so yeah figured too I might as well make a new start of it just in case. sometimes it's good to do some fall cleaning in the home.

I too was wonder where and if FreeBSD had a skel dir. I have not done any intense learning on this OS -- Just taking it as I need it.

Back