hyper-v Hyper-V problem running Freebsd 12.2 - losing extra disks.

Hi, I have a weird issue with my FreeBSD 12.2 install. When I add an extra data disk to the VM, I can't take/run checkpoints from VMM anymore.
Code:
"Checkpoint operation for 'svwddmprod02' was cancelled. (Virtual machine ID CD3EF58F-AABB-4181-A3EE-BB3267D8658D)
'svwddmprod02' could not initiate a checkpoint operation: Unspecified error (0x80004005). (Virtual machine ID CD3EF58F-AABB-4181-A3EE-BB3267D8658D)
Production Checkpoint for VM 'svwddmprod02' failed in the guest VSS Integration Component with error Unspecified error (0x80004005). If you continue to see this problem please use regular checkpoints instead (Virtual machine ID CD3EF58F-AABB-4181-A3EE-BB3267D8658D)
Unknown error (0x8000)"
This only happens when I add an extra disk to the server. And after this error (which happens when backup runs) the mounted data disk is inaccessible.

This is a fresh FreeBSD 12.2 installed from ISO on a gen2 Hyper-V 2016 VM.

Have just tested the freebsd vhd download, and i'm experiencing the same issue if a create a gen1 VM vith the downloaded .vhd image. As soon as i'm connecting an extra disk and mount it, checkpoint creation fails, after the failed checkpoint i loose connectivity to the mounted disk (and cannot perform umount), A reboot fixes the issue.

Another update, if i change checkpoint to standard checkpoint, it seems to work. I'm wondering why it stops working with production when you add another disk tbh...

1606748334563.png

"Production Checkpoint" is using guest-specific backup e.g. VSS.

Also, guest has to run:
* NT: AD DS or AD LDS.
OR
* linux: fsfreeze on ext4, ext3 xfs, jfs and reiserfs.

Use normal snapshot aka standard checkpoint i.e. snapshot of VM and memory state.

Hmm. Not sure I understand why guest should run ad ds or lds to fix a vss issue?
If it's ufs filesystem that is unsupported, it seems weird that I only experience these problems when I add the second disk..

But I will try to run standard checkpoint, will see what happens when veeam is running it's backup tonight.

Back