Solved hw.efi.poweroff: Immense power consumption when powered off

Recently I did an orderly shutdown of my laptop while it was plugged into mains, and battery fully loaded.
Six days later I tried to switch it on again, and it was not possible. After connecting to mains, I found the battery sucked dry at 0%.

Then this article here (which seems no longer present now) brought me to the idea to check that:
I let the battery charge to 100%, then did an orderly shutdown.
When restarting after 24 hours, the battery was at 75%.

Now I did a hard poweroff, pressing the power button for 10sec.
After another 24 hours the battery was at 72%, which now looks much more practical.

That kind of mirrors/matches behavior I've seen on a lot of laptops: shutdown does not wind up in hard power off, it winds up in more a suspend/hibernate, so it "comes alive" quicker.

IIRC, this happened to me only when I left enabled the option in BIOS/UEFI to leave USB ports powered.

Wake-on-lan is switched off, as is USB power supply. But I think I found something:
Code:
24.03. 16:00    67%    sysctl hw.efi.poweroff=0; halt -p
25.03. 02:30    67%    sysctl hw.efi.poweroff=0; halt -p
25.03. 13:30    65%    halt -p
25.03. 21:30    57%

FWIW, I had the same thing with a Macbook today. Was warm in the backpack from overnight, battery down to 20% with no use. Then I put it on a charger and it stay cool :)

Apparently sleeping is a difficult thing to get right.

Or efi is a difficult thing to get right. I checked the source, and the docs say with that operation it should go into ACPI/G2 or G3. It obviousely doesn't on this A3511.

Meanwhile, on some machines (oldish desktop towers in my case) hw.efi.poweroff=1 makes the computer reboot instead of shutting down...

Or efi is a difficult thing to get right. I checked the source, and the docs say with that operation it should go into ACPI/G2 or G3. It obviousely doesn't on this A3511.
Thinking of it, sometimes I noticed the battery a little discharged at morning, but tought the plug was hit by accident while using the laptop the day before, and I didn't notice. Investigation is required.

Back