Humble Advocacy Request

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't say this to brag, but rather to emphasize the point that comes afterward. I have been a network/system administrator for about 15 years now. I have worked with more operating systems than I can remember, to include: DOS 3.3 - 6.2 (with and without Windows 3.1), FreeDOS, Windows NT - 7/2008 & Windows 95 - ME, Linux (Red Hat since v 5, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, DSL, Puppy, Slax, and Slackware), ReactOS, BeOS, Mac Classic, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Solaris.

I really like the BSD way of doing things, from your development model to your license to ports vs. binary downloads. I would LOVE to recommend FreeBSD to lay-people as a viable alternative to Windows, but I cannot. You guys have GOT to take a page out of Canonical's playbook, and make it easy to install FreeBSD. Honestly, I was just installing both Solaris Express 11 and FreeBSD 8.2 in VM's at the same time. Solaris was far easier. SOLARIS!

Honestly, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but an idiot-proof GUI installer would go a long way to making FreeBSD a more popular OS.

Noted. We've had these discussions on these forums before (a search should have turned them up), and they tend to go nowhere or go divisive, so I'm closing this. Moreover, sysinstall is already overhauled and replaced by bsdinstall in future releases, so this may be water under the bridge.

you should go and check the recent discussions about bsdinstall on current@, as Nathan is still looking for advices and feature requests on how should things work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back