Solved HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF can't wake up from sleep

… FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p5 … resume fails: when I press the power button, the computer powers on for a very short time, then powers off again and reboots. …

… set debug.acpi.suspend_bounce=1 before a suspend…

… This works fine.

Here's my dmesg from just after trying this: …

Sorry, from the dmesg output I can't tell what followed the wake; can't tell what was meant by works fine.

Does 13.0-RELEASE-p5 with debug.acpi.suspend_bounce=1 still unexpectedly reboot shortly after wake? Or are symptoms altered?

An 8300 SFF desktop will pass through my hands in the near future

Sorry, there was a record-keeping mistake. The customer brought in a much more modern HP SFF.

I might truly have some time with an 8300 SFF within the next few weeks.

I have good news (Christmas magic?): 13.0-STABLE has working suspend/resume as well!
While running CURRENT isn't an option for me, I think I'll be fine running STABLE until 13.1-RELEASE is out.

Does 13.0-RELEASE-p5 with debug.acpi.suspend_bounce=1 still unexpectedly reboot shortly after wake? Or are symptoms altered?
No, suspend_bounce enables a suspend simulation mode, so the computer doesn't actually suspend.

I'm not a coder but I came across a finding I like to share here as it maybe can be helpful for someone.

My main computer is a hp Elitedesk G5 I7 9gen with Intel integrated graphics. I run 13-Stable on it and there was no way to make
resume from S3 work. I really tried hard with all sort of tricks in the bios or otherwise. Resume only crashed the machine.
So just always shut it down the last few months.

Time passing by and I decided to treat myself and replace my old 24" 1k monitor with a new shinny 27" 2k one. After that graphics
was not doing well. Stuttering firefox and other issues and I thought replace Intel integrated with a real graphics card. As I'm not
a gamer at all I went with a cheap Nvidia GT 1030. Just a basic card.

This fixed my graphics issues very nice but I also had a very nice side effect. Using the Nvidia graphics driver instead of i915kms fixed
the resume issue. Suspend/Resume now works very well, just as it should do. No fiddling around, just out of the box.

But I tested further as I thought there can be more to it:

I have access to 4 more FreeBSD machines and I compared.

Dell Optiplex 7040 I5 6gen Intel integrated graphics: Resume crashes the machine
Dell Optiplex 7060 I5 8gen Intel integrated graphics: Resume crashes the machine
hp machine I5 6gen AMD graphics: Suspend/Resume works fine out of the box
hp thin client AMD cpu and graphics: Suspend/Resume works fine out of the box.

All of them on 13.0 Release.

Is it a random? I wanted to know.

For a test I replaced the 2 x Dell Optiplex Intel integrated graphics with my Nvidia 1030 card and of course while doing this
replaced i915kms with the Nvidia driver. Result both Optiplex Suspend/Resume without any problem.

This tells me that the problem is within i915kms as amdgpu and nvidia-driver playing well with FreeBSD suspend/resume.
At least for me. May be someone else has the option to double check.

Hope this can help someone.

Interesting, thank you for sharing your experience.

This tells me that the problem is within i915kms as amdgpu and nvidia-driver playing well with FreeBSD suspend/resume.
Not in my case, because I get this reboot after resume on 13.0-RELEASE both with and without i915kms loaded. That's obviously a bug in the base system. 13.0-STABLE and 14.0-CURRENT don't behave like this: without i915kms, the computer stays on after resume but doesn't output any video; with i915kms, resume works properly.

No mention of wake or resume at <https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics>, it might be good to add something however I don't know whether this is a suitable page to attempt a generalisation.

… nvidia-driver playing well with FreeBSD suspend/resume. At least for me. …

I found problems with NVIDIA Quadro K1100M (GK107GLM) in summer 2021. Please see for example <https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/539345> (2021-10-13).

… 13-Stable … no way to make resume from S3 work. …

Did you try with graphics/drm-devel-kmod?

No mention of wake or resume at <https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics>, it might be good to add something however I don't know whether this is a suitable page to attempt a generalisation.

I found problems with NVIDIA Quadro K1100M (GK107GLM) in summer 2021. Please see for example <https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/539345> (2021-10-13).

Did you try with graphics/drm-devel-kmod?
I tried the drm-devel-kmod today with a strange outcome. After installing it suspend/resume worked fine. Tried a second time, also fine.
Tried 3 time and back to problem, suspend but never come back, reset.
After reboot tried again with same outcome. Works 2 times and 3 time no more?
I'm confused about this. Why it works 2 times and than not anymore?
I tried to find a suspend/resume log file to see what is different but could not find one.

Is it possible to log this to see what goes different at 3 try?

Try:
  1. boot in safe mode
  2. sign in to KDE Plasma (but don't bother using it for long; there'll be slowness in safe mode)
  3. sleep
  4. wake
  5. restart (in normal mode)
  6. sign in to Plasma
  7. use it for a while
  8. sleep
  9. wake.
… a suspend/resume log file …

Some of what's relevant is written to /var/log/messages so, for example:

grep suspend /var/log/messages

– then you can browse messages from around the time of each suspend event.

Back