HOWTO: Running Qt5 applications (e.g. Dolphin) without KDE

Problem. You are trying to run Qt5 applications without KDE, you don't see incons and a lot
of error messages appear in your shell, like "Pixmap is a null pixmap".

Release. I never saw this problem appearing on FreeBSD-11.1, it starts from FreeBSD-11.2.

Caveat. I found this solution valid for my system and I was expecially interested in having Dolphin
to work. It shoud hold valid for all other Qt5 applications. I run WindowMaker, you may find this
procedure useful if you run other non KDE/GNOME window managers.

References. I wrote this short howto after finding this informative page which I reccomend you read.

Long term solution. It would be nice some kind of information to be shown to the users when they
install Qt5 applications to avoid a lot of people running into this issue. I mailed kde@freebsd.org
before posting this how to.

Procedure.

1] Install qt5ct

2] Set this variable in ~/.bashrc or appropriately in your default shell configuration file.
Code:
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME="qt5ct"

3] Install an incon set, the first I found working was package kf5-oxygen-icons5-5.50.0

4] Select the icon set with qt5ct, that is run qt5ct and then select Icon Theme --> Oxygen

5] Open a new terminal, check QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEM variable is defined and then try to run Dolphin,
it should work.

END

Back