Howto install a private CA certificate?

It depends on what you want to do with the certificate. This has very little to do with FreeBSD itself.

For example, if you want to use it for a web server, you have to install it in your web server’s configuration. Consult your web server’s documentation for that. In the case of Apache httpd, you usually store them in /usr/local/etc/apache*/ssl, and you might have to make small changes to a configuration file.

If you want to make the certificate known to your web browser, then it depends on the browser. For example, in Chrome open the settings page and go to the “Privacy and security” section, then select the “Manage certificates” entry.

To make the certificate available to OpenSSL-based applications, put it in /etc/ssl/certs.

Hi olli,
my intention was to make all OpenSSL-based applications trust the certificates which has been and will be signed by those CA certificates. I can verify the certificate chain by using openssl s_client -connect with the -CAfile option but when I put that file into /etc/ssl/certs and run the same command without the option the return code changes from 0 (ok) to 21 (21 (unable to verify the first certificate).

Hi olli,
my intention was to make all OpenSSL-based applications trust the certificates which has been and will be signed by those CA certificates.

Here is what I do. I am not sure it is the solution you need, but it may help you look in a specific direction...

I have created my personal CA.

I want the apps on the server, e.g., Postfix, NGINX, to use the certs signed by my CA.

I install the pkg:

ca_root_nss-3.55 --- Root certificate bundle from the Mozilla Project

I then append my CA's public cert to that cert bundle file.

The applications that need to use certs all are configured to point to that master bundle file with my CA's cert in it.

That's a high level overview (definitely not a how-to) of what I do. It has worked for me for a while.

Don't care about any intermediate certificates, those are verified by the chain of trust starting with given CA root certificate.

So you have to inform OpenSSL, that you want to add given root certificate to your trusted ones. Here you have two ways to do that. Either put all root certificates into one file and use -CAfile option, this is how ca_root_nss works. But you have to manually update this file each time with your addition, when Mozilla update their bundle, if you use it. Or you can use -CApath option, where you specify directory, where to look for trusted root certificates. Those are looked up by hash, so it is not sufficient to put only some files there, you have to rename them accordingly or create symlinks, that is the 4th part in tutorial you linked, which deals with the hashing.

Now you have your trusted root certificate(s) stored and it works, as you can try with the openssl s_client command. However OpenSSL by default doesn't trust to anything, unless explicitly said to. Here depends on any and all application you want to trust your private CA, because it has to say OpenSSL library what it want to be trusted.
[...]but when I put that file into /etc/ssl/certs and run the same command without the option the return code changes from 0 (ok) to 21 (21 (unable to verify the first certificate).
I would guess you did not specify the -CApath option and did not name certificate file with correct hash either, so it would not work.

And finally, you can also try to set SSL_CERT_FILE and/or SSL_CERT_DIR environment variables to see if it helps in your case.

Hi there,

thanks for all your help. Adding the certs to /usr/local/share/certs/ca-root-nss.crt did work, but re-adding them every time the package gets updated is not so great.

Is there way to set -CApath option as default in a .conf file? And how can the ca-root-nss then be. added as well?

Henning

AFAIK, this depends on actual program you want to trust some root CA. My understanding is, that such program calls openssl library with request like "please verify this certificate for me, while trusting CAs in this CAfile/CApath" and form of configuring those roots of trust depends on given program.

However it looks like at least openssl s_client should try use default locations, but long outstanding bug prevented it, if no -CA... option was used, see for example this question.

And for me it really looks like it is working as you expect.

FreeBSD 11.3
Code:
# freebsd-version
11.3-RELEASE-p5
# openssl version -a
OpenSSL 1.0.2s-freebsd  28 May 2019
built on: date not available
platform: FreeBSD-amd64
options:  bn(64,64) rc4(16x,int) des(idx,cisc,16,int) idea(int) blowfish(idx)
compiler: clang
OPENSSLDIR: "/etc/ssl"
None SSL environmental variables are set, command # env | grep -i ssl has empty output, [pkg]ca_root_nss[/pkg] version 3.48 is installed and at least s_client looks working witout any CA command line option

Code:
# openssl s_client -quiet -connect gmail.com:443
depth=2 OU = GlobalSign Root CA - R2, O = GlobalSign, CN = GlobalSign
verify return:1
depth=1 C = US, O = Google Trust Services, CN = GTS CA 1O1
depth=0 C = US, ST = California, L = Mountain View, O = Google LLC, CN = mail.google.com
read:errno=0

So my guess is you did not hash your certificate properly, see example in your example :) Get it working with s_client in same manner with /etc/ssl/certs directory to avoid manual file updating each time you update ca_root_nss package and then experiment with your target program.

mmh now this is strange or better embarrassing for me ;-). I deleted the CAs from the bundle file and created the hashs from the CA files with sudo openssl x509 -noout -hash -in CA.pem created the symbolic links ln -s CA.pem HASH-FROM-CMD-BEFORE.0 in /etc/ssl/certs and it works now....

So sorry stealing all your time

Regards

Henning

openssl rehash <folder containing certificates> should do the equivalent of the two commands above. Unfortunately, the man page for this gets tromped by the shell builtins rehash() one.

Just tried that command but in my 11.3 jail I get this response
Code:
openssl:Error: 'rehash' is an invalid command.
it looks like the rehash option comes with 12.0

Found simple way: https://www.linuxpedia.pl/articles/freebsd-certs/

1. Copy certificate to /usr/local/etc/ssl/certs (create if necessary).
2. Run certctl rehash - it will put it in all the places necessary and update respective databases/links.
A certificate installed this way works well with openssl s_client -connect <some.server>, but Firefox and Chromium web browsers don't recognize it -- the connection is still considered to be insecure. Do you know why this may happen? Do these browsers expect TLS certificates to be placed somewhere else apart from /etc/ssl/certs/? Maybe I should use something like Mozilla's CA Certificate Program provided as a port (security/ca_root_nss)?

FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE-p3

I think both browsers have (or at least had some time ago) private certificate store where you can import own/custom certificates. Like here https://docs.titanhq.com/en/55958-importing-ssl-certificate-in-mozilla-firefox.html
Yeah, they have built-in certificate stores, but that's not what I really want. On other OSes, it's possible to install a root CA system-wide and make web browsers trust that CA. So the question is: isn't it currently possible on FreeBSD (13.1+) to make custom CAs trusted by browsers without duplicating them into browsers' certificate stores?

Firefox on Windows also ignores Window's certificate store and simply uses its own store.

Firefox on Windows also ignores Window's certificate store and simply uses its own store.
This behavior can easily be changed in the browser's settings. Just switch
Code:
security.enterprise_roots.enabled
in about:config to true and good to go.

This behavior can easily be changed in the browser's settings.
Not allowed to change the browser's settings at $DAYJOB. And the desktop hosting team hasn't configured this. Which is funny, because I am allowed to add CA certificates to Firefox's store. So it's always a pain when they connect a new client and I have to add their CA/Issuer certificates myself. And I can add those certificates to all the Linux machines we have to maintain.

Not allowed to change the browser's settings at $DAYJOB. And the desktop hosting team hasn't configured this. Which is funny, because I am allowed to add CA certificates to Firefox's store. So it's always a pain when they connect a new client and I have to add their CA/Issuer certificates myself. And I can add those certificates to all the Linux machines we have to maintain.
Sounds painful to me

It's a royal mess. But you learn to live with it.

In any case, by default security.enterprise_roots.enabled is set to false, in other words, it defaults to using it's own certificate store.

Back