HOWTO: FreeBSD Desktop - Part 2 - Install

Please fix a typo:

Code:
We will not set SWAP size to ‘0‘ (no SWAP) as it will not be needed.

Should be:

Code:
We will now set SWAP size to ‘0‘ (no SWAP) as it will not be needed.

Another little one from the first link above:

Code:
The You may connect to it using the wpa_supplicant(8) daemon.

Should be:

Code:
Then You may connect to it using the wpa_supplicant(8) daemon.

Thanks.

Because mini-memstick but does not contain the installation distribution sets on the medium itself.

But it's smaller and you can immediately tell if you have any networking issues, which is where numerous problems arise...
If you do encounter a problem, because your NIC is not supported, you won't know until you try network access, and then you'll find you can't do much with your installation.

But it's smaller and you can immediately tell if you have any networking issues, which is where numerous problems arise...
If you do encounter a problem, because your NIC is not supported, you won't know until you try network access, and then you'll find you can't do much with your installation.
Just drop to a shell and run ifconfig. :)

I do not need to download the installation sets every time just to test network connectivity ...

I do not need to download the installation sets every time just to test network connectivity ...

That's fine if you are doing it regularly. I'm thinking more about someone not familiar with FreeBSD, installing for the first time and not sure what to expect.

That's fine if you are doing it regularly. I'm thinking more about someone not familiar with FreeBSD, installing for the first time and not sure what to expect.
So not being able even to install the system because there can be trouble with network (which can adressed later after install) would be better for people not familiar with FreeBSD ... interesting point :)

I'd just say that it's probably better not to succeed in installing FreeBSD than to find out after you've installed it that your NIC is not supported.

Back