Howto for managing a yubikey in FreeBSD?

Title pretty much says it all. I have googled and searched the forums, but have not found any definitive documentation on how to set one up.

I have two Yubikey 4s, and when I plug either of them into the computer (13.0-RELEASE-p8), dmesg sees them as plugged in:

Code:
ugen0.11: <Yubico Yubikey 4 OTP+U2F+CCID> at usbus0
ukbd2 numa-domain 0 on uhub0
ukbd2: <Yubico Yubikey 4 OTP+U2F+CCID, class 0/0, rev 2.00/4.37, addr 28> on usbus0
kbd4 at ukbd2
uhid1 numa-domain 0 on uhub0
uhid1: <Yubico Yubikey 4 OTP+U2F+CCID, class 0/0, rev 2.00/4.37, addr 28> on usbus0

However, none of the apps seem to be able to see either one of the devices. ykman list says
Code:
WARNING: PC/SC not available. Smart card protocols will not function.
WARNING: No OTP HID backend available. OTP protocols will not function.

ykman gives a different error:
Code:
NameError: name 'yubikey' is not defined
)
qml: qrc:/qml/YubiKey.qml:205: Error: Cannot assign [undefined] to int
"PyOtherSide error: Traceback (most recent call last):\n\n  File \"<string>\", li
ne 1, in <module>\n\nNameError: name 'yubikey' is not defined\n"
qml: Function not found: 'yubikey.controller.count_devices' (Traceback (most rece
nt call last):

File "<string>", line 1, in <module>

NameError: name 'yubikey' is not defined
)

And ykpersonalize-gui says that no yubikey is plugged in. How do I get FreeBSD to recognize the keys?

Thanks,
--vr

Have pcsc-lite installed? That might fulfill the PC/SC requirements.

Other interesting ports are opensc, libccid, libfido2, py-fido2

pcsc-lite is installed. Do I need to install the other packages? It just seems odd that even ykpersonalize doesn't see the plugged in key...

I just feel like I am missing the right way of putting this pile of lego pieces together.

Well ykman is Python so you'll need Python connectors to all the libraries you will use like the py-fido2. ykpersonalize might not be using the right mode if you're using the gui although I wouldn't use that tool because it seems to be extremely destructive write-only.

I started to document my Yubikey configuration notes on FreeBSD 13.1+ here: https://gist.github.com/daemonhorn/bdd77a7bc0ff5842e5a31d999b96e1f1

OP likely was missing "service pcscd enable && service pcscd start", or was running without applicable privs to the /dev/uhid* devices. (need to be root, or setup u2f-dev rules to allow group access to users)

I've been successful with the Yubikey 5, and Yubkey Security Key NFC (BLUE). Works well with Firefox, openssh, yubikey utilities, pcsc-lite. OpenSSH's FIDO2 interfaces are a bit more fiddly than the tried and true pkcs#11 interfaces, but it all works once you get through the details of configuration.

Good Luck.

Back