How to use USB wifi dongle?

Do I need to mount a USB wifi dongle? Or run dhclient on it?

I purchased a Realtek RTL8811CU USB WiFi adapter for my laptop (because I've been completely unable to get the centrino chipset operating.
Is the procedure similar to tethering my phone?

Its a little bit involved, creating the wlan device, but is detailed well in the handbook:

however, when I run:
pciconf -lv | grep -A1 -B3 network
the USB dongle doesn't show. Do I somehow need to mount it first?

I tend to use:

sysctl net.wlan.devices

Should return a list of recognised wifi devices. I.e it will show something like (if you have 4 devices plugged in for some reason, USB or PCI):

wpi0 wpi1 ath0 run0

USB config output below. Do I need to somehow mount the dongle? I can't see any mention of this in Chapter 7. And I can't see how to do this in a manner similar to tethering a phone hotspot:

Code:
root@deilbox ~# usbconfig list
ugen0.1: <Intel EHCI root HUB> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.1: <Intel EHCI root HUB> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.2: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x0024> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen0.2: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x0024> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.3: <Realtek 802.11ac NIC> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)
ugen0.3: <04G6200086K0AN14A001W6D ASUS USB2.0 WebCam> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)
ugen1.4: <PixArt USB Optical Mouse> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
ugen0.4: <Generic USB2.0-CRW> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)

I tend to use:

sysctl net.wlan.devices

Should return a list of recognised wifi devices. I.e it will show something like (if you have 4 devices plugged in for some reason, USB or PCI):

wpi0 wpi1 ath0 run0
running that, only the intel card shows (which isn't the USB)
net.wlan.devices: iwn0

Do you know what model of chip exactly does the USB dongle use?

Realtek driver is called rtwn, see rtwn(4) manpage.

You should load usb one. Reboot your system after making the changes to load the rtwn usb driver then I think you can use # bsdconfig tool to connect to a wireless network.

running that, only the intel card shows (which isn't the USB)
net.wlan.devices: iwn0
Hmm, USB devices should show there too.
Perhaps you are missing firmware?

That said, the manpage doesn't seem to reference any firmware.

Can you share your dmesg?

Edit:

For your inbuilt one (iwn0), since you have that being detected, have you ran:

# ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwn0

What does it say?

Back