How to use more RAM?

According to top(1):

Mem: 283M Active, 190M Inact, 531M Wired, 4312K Cache, 399M Buf, 2914M Free
Swap: 4096M Total, 4096M Free

Seems like a lot of RAM is just sitting there doing nothing.
This is a laptop running 7.2-PRERELEASE amd64 so sleep and suspend to RAM/DISK are not supported. In an computer that is on most of the time it seems like some data get cached: xorg starts faster the second time and so on so that would be a good use for the memory. But I have to turn off the laptop every time I move.

Is there a way to put that memory to good use?

v.

vsoto said:
Seems like a lot of RAM is just sitting there doing nothing.
This is a laptop running 7.2-PRERELEASE amd64 so sleep and suspend to RAM/DISK are not supported. In an computer that is on most of the time it seems like some data get cached: xorg starts faster the second time and so on so that would be a good use for the memory.
The remaining memory will be used for file caching.

SirDice said:
The remaining memory will be used for file caching.

I know, I have noticed that some programs/commands are faster after the first time they are run. The problem is that the computer is not on long enough for that to be useful: It's a laptop running amd64 so I can't suspend to disk or RAM and continue later; so every time I go from home to coffee shop I have to turn it off and lose what the system had cached.

v.

how about this sysctl?

kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1

it seems this would comsume some RAM. but i'm not quite sure.

I think amd64 suspend/resume support just got committed to CURRENT, by the way - I got the impression it works quite well.

Djn said:
I think amd64 suspend/resume support just got committed to CURRENT, by the way - I got the impression it works quite well.

Are there any plans to port it to STABLE?

v.

Back