How to use GUI as root?

HI, I need to know how to configure my system to allow me to use the root user for GUI desktop usage? I am trying to launch nautilus as root. I tried in the terminal already and got this response:

Code:
(nautilus:3966): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

(nautilus:3966): Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
  Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: The connection is closed)

(nautilus:3966): Unique-DBus-WARNING **: Unable to open a connection to the session bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(nautilus:3966): Unique-DBus-WARNING **: Unable to connect to the running instance, aborting.

(nautilus:3966): Unique-DBus-WARNING **: Unable to open a connection to the session bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(nautilus:3966): Unique-DBus-WARNING **: Unable to connect to the running instance, aborting.

The 2second line gets repeated about twelve times.

hockey97 said:
HI, I need to know how to configure my system to allow me to use @root user for GUI desktop usage?
Don't. Learn how to use su(1) and sudo(8).

Last edited by a moderator:
SirDice said:
hockey97 said:
HI, I need to know how to configure my system to allow me to use @root user for GUI desktop usage?
Don't. Learn how to use su(1) and sudo(8).

Why? But the problem is that it's time consuming. I have to work on my mail server files to configure things. The only way I can do this is by the use of vi in terminal.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not wise to use a GUI as the root operator, one accidental click of the mouse button could wipe out your system; it's like a beginner using rm with *, it can be very dangerous. If you don't like vi, may I suggest the old favourite - mc.

bsdkeith said:
If you don't like vi, may I suggest the old favourite - mc.
Or use ee(1), which is in the base system. In any case, don't run file managers (e.g. Nautilus, XFM, etc.) as root and certainly not X itself.

Back