How to solve local terminal output mess for btop (bpytop formerly) resource monitoring tool ?

After changing screen resolution to more night (640x480 text -> 1600x1200 graphics), output from btop app (formerly bpytop on-screen real-time monitoring tool) look like mess (see attached screen photos).

The same behavior for current btop app and for previous version - bpytop.
Only one exception: btop not start (display ERROR: No UTF-8 locale detected) automatically, and able to start only with key —utf-force that ignore UTF compability locale detection.

[UPDATE]
Other monitoring utility “gotop” have the same behavior: mess on a local-attached screen (ttyv0).

How to fix this ? May be directly pointing on specific UTF-8 font in /boot/loader. conf.local ?

btop on GitHub - https://github.com/aristocratos/btop

Let’s bring You attention to next from app description:

#####################

Linux, Mac Os X and FreeBSD​

For correct display, a terminal with support for:

• 24-bit truecolor (See list of terminals with truecolor support)
  • 256-color terminals are supported through 24-bit to 256-color conversion when setting "truecolor" to False in the options or with "-lc/--low-color" argument.
  • Wide characters (Are sometimes problematic in web-based terminals)
Also needs a UTF8 locale and a font that covers:

• Unicode Block “Braille Patterns” U+2800 - U+28FF
  • Unicode Block “Geometric Shapes” U+25A0 - U+25FF
  • Unicode Block "Box Drawing" and "Block Elements" U+2500 - U+259F

Notice (Text rendering issues)​

If you are having problems with the characters in the graphs not looking like they do in the screenshots, it's likely a problem with your systems configured fallback font not having support for braille characters.

See Terminess Powerline for an example of a font that includes the braille symbols.

See comments by @sgleizes link and @XenHat linkin issue #100 for possible solutions.

If text are misaligned and you are using Konsole or Yakuake, turning off "Bi-Directional text rendering" is a possible fix.

Characters clipping in to each other or text/border misalignments is not bugs caused by bpytop, but most likely a fontconfig or terminal problem where the braille characters making up the graphs aren't rendered correctly. Look to the creators of the terminal emulator you use to fix these issues if the previous mentioned fixes don't work for you.

##########

Right now I have
In /boot/loader.conf.local
mga_load="YES"
kern.vty=sc
kern.vt.fb.default_mode=“1600x1200”
vbe_max_resolution="1600x1200"

And I make corrections in /etc/login.conf to enable UTF-8 systemwide (based on this tread https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/system-wide-utf-8.54388/):

defaults:\
:charset=UTF-8:\
:lang=en_US.UTF-8:\
:setenv=LC_COLLATE=C:\
:umask=022:

If this corrections in /etc/login.conf not enough may be better to make how described in this https://www.b1c1l1.com/blog/2011/05/09/using-utf-8-unicode-on-freebsd/ article ?

Attachments

• 6CC82D0C-A0BA-4EFE-9A86-3DE4EDF7D620.jpeg
    6CC82D0C-A0BA-4EFE-9A86-3DE4EDF7D620.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 455
  • 2187FA97-37DF-41B3-BDFC-DEC3654BA7F1.jpeg
    2187FA97-37DF-41B3-BDFC-DEC3654BA7F1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 422
ERROR: No UTF-8 locale detected
How to fix this ? May be directly pointing on specific UTF-8 font in /boot/loader. conf.local ?
Right now I have
In /boot/loader.conf.local
kern.vty=sc

syscons(4), sc(4) doesn't support UTF-8 encoding, vt(4) does. See Newcons wiki syscons(4) Comparison.

If you are having problems with the characters in the graphs not looking like they do in the screenshots, it's likely a problem with your systems configured fallback font not having support for braille characters.

See Terminess Powerline for an example of a font that includes the braille symbols.
Those fonts are true type fonts ( TTF ), they can't be used in sc(4).

Try vidfont(1), maybe one the fonts in /usr/share/syscons/fonts works with sysutils/btop. If a font works satisfactory it can be set in /etc/rc.conf ( see " System console options" in /etc/defaults/rc.conf ).

Or you could try converting those Terminess Powerline fonts into .fnt.

syscons(4), sc(4) doesn't support UTF-8 encoding, vt(4) does
Thank You for help!

Sad to read this,- because looks like for my Matrox G200e chip, that integrated in iRMC, sc(4) is only solution to make hi-resolution on local screen...
please see last page here -
Post in thread 'Change resolution to 1600x1200 on integrated Matrox MGA G200e in D2939 Fujitsu motherboard'
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...n-d2939-fujitsu-motherboard.82686/post-573218

Also FreeBSD promised that sc(4) in v.14+ would be deprecated? Or I miss something?

Execute in the console vidfont(1), that will open a dialog(1) from which a font can be chosen. The chosen font takes immediate effect, run sysutils/btop to see if it's displayed correct.

If one of the fonts works well with sysutils/btop set in /etc/rc.conf using the allscreens_flags variable (it sets vidcontrol(1) options), e.g., for setting font iso-8x16.fnt from /usr/share/syscons/fonts:
Code:
allscreens_flags="-f iso-8x16"

Earlier I only glanced at the prerequisites of sysutils/btop, the importend point I didn't pay attention then (sorry, should have read all the text thoroughly), which is:
Also needs a UTF8 locale and a font that covers:

• Unicode Block “Braille Patterns” U+2800 - U+28FF
  • Unicode Block “Geometric Shapes” U+25A0 - U+25FF
  • Unicode Block "Box Drawing" and "Block Elements" U+2500 - U+259F

And sysutils/gotop:
Console Users

gotop requires a font that has braille and block character Unicode code points; some distributions do not provide this. ...

Since syscons(4), sc(4) doesn't support (unicode) UTF-8 encoding, no font or locale will help here. Those two application can't be used in sc(4).

Since syscons(4), sc(4) doesn't support (unicode) UTF-8 encoding, no font or locale will help here. Those two application can't be used in sc(4).
Thank You for help!

Developer of btop/bpytop confirm:
Btop prints out ANSI escape sequences for formatting and coloring and relies on UTF-8 encoded fonts to display the correct symbols. If your terminal (or terminal emulator) of choice doesn't support either of those two requirements, it's simply not gonna work as intended.

So, I need to step back and try to pushing my Matrox G200e [PILOT] embedded in iRMC working with vt.

Do You have some thoughts how to doing this?

1. First of all, which release are you running that you had to modify /etc/login.conf?
2. Check that the changes you made were really applied running locale command.
3. What is the mga module?
4. Why do you need to force the sc?

P.S. I tried running btop in console, and all of the fonts available through vidfont give me nicely working program, you don't have to add news ones.

1. First of all, which release are you running that you had to modify /etc/login.conf?
Thank You for help!
FreeBSD 12.3-STABLE
2. Check that the changes you made were really applied running locale command.
Already doing, each time after modifying
/boot/login.conf
/boot/login.conf.local

Right now locale output are:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=
3. What is the mga module?
mga.ko - for Matrox-based graphics card, also includes Matrox G200/G200e.

More on this please read Page2-3 in this thread and this page above (where I confirm that there are no visual difference between vesa.ko and mga.ko loaded by “YES” directive).

4. Why do you need to force the sc?
Because all my previous efforts with vt() fail and more experienced users on this forum suggest to using sc() with corrections in /boot/device.hints.
(also see my post above)

P.S. I tried running btop in console, and all of the fonts available through vidfont give me nicely working program, you don't have to add news ones.
Which ver FreeBSD You use ?
Which directives for vt() You use in loader.conf and loader.conf.local ?
Please give “locale” output here.

Already doing, each time after modifying
/boot/login.conf
/boot/login.conf.local
I guess /boot/ here is a typo, and you meant /etc/.
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=
That's not going to work, LC_* variables override LANG, find where you set them to C and remove.
More on this please read Page2-3 in this thread and this page above (where I confirm that there are no visual difference between vesa.ko and mga.ko loaded by “YES” directive).
Not sure I follow, you probably mean your other thread; could you please provide the TL;DR version -- looks like you can't change resolution with vt in BIOS mode?
Which ver FreeBSD You use ?
Which directives for vt() You use in loader.conf and loader.conf.local ?
Please give “locale” output here.
For me it's always -CURRENT, no directives for vt (also using UEFI boot so resolution is not a problem), and:

$ locale
LANG=C.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="C.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="C.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="C.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="C.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="C.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="C.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I guess /boot/ here is a typo, and you meant /etc/.
Sorry, I check double twice: both files in /boot/ on my system.
That's not going to work, LC_* variables override LANG, find where you set them to C and remove.
I try...

Not sure I follow, you probably mean your other thread; could you please provide the TL;DR version -- looks like you can't change resolution with vt in BIOS mode?
Sorry, my mistake. I mean this https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...mga-g200e-in-d2939-fujitsu-motherboard.82686/ thread.

Because issue involving both resolution changes and enabling UTF-8 for bpytop/btop, I just make this mess...
For me it's always -CURRENT, no directives for vt (also using UEFI boot so resolution is not a problem), and:

$ locale
LANG=C.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="C.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="C.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="C.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="C.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="C.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="C.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Please, describe a little bit more where I need to make changes to properly enabling UTF-8 ?
Like in this https://www.b1c1l1.com/blog/2011/05/09/using-utf-8-unicode-on-freebsd/ article ?

Thank You!

P.S. This rack server are BIOS, non UEFI.

Sorry, I check double twice: both files in /boot/ on my system.
Are you confusing /boot/loader.conf and /etc/login.conf? The latter is used to set the locale properly.
Please, describe a little bit more where I need to make changes to properly enabling UTF-8 ?
Remove all changes in /etc/login.conf that you did previously and update the default capability so it would look like the following at the end -- this is how it's done in 13.x by default:
Code:
default:\
        :umask=022:\
        :lang=C.UTF-8:
Run cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf, log out, log in, check the locale output.
Because issue involving both resolution changes and enabling UTF-8 for bpytop/btop, I just make this mess...
btop seem to require a minimal window size of 80x24 (in characters), that should be the default resolution with vt. Reading that thread you seem to mention that you need a resolution less than 1600x1200, so the default one with vt should do?

Are you confusing /boot/loader.conf and /etc/login.conf? The latter is used to set the locale properly.

Remove all changes in /etc/login.conf that you did previously and update the default capability so it would look like the following at the end -- this is how it's done in 13.x by default:
Code:
default:\
        :umask=022:\
        :lang=C.UTF-8:
Run cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf, log out, log in, check the locale output.
As I note in first message in this thread, already done:
——
And I make corrections in /etc/login.conf to enable UTF-8 systemwide (based on this tread https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/system-wide-utf-8.54388/):

defaults:\
:lang=en_US.UTF-8:\
:setenv=LC_COLLATE=C:\
:umask=022:
——-
btop seem to require a minimal window size of 80x24 (in characters), that should be the default resolution with vt. Reading that thread you seem to mention that you need a resolution less than 1600x1200, so the default one with vt should do?
If I understand You correctly, Yes, due ability iRMC controller to capturing video output (may be buffer size, etc...), resolution must be 1600x1200 or less.

As I note in first message in this thread, already done:
Not really, please pay attention to the details as they do matter :)

The post you have linked (as well as my post) suggests to modify default login class by adding needed definitions to it, while you have defaults class in your paste with just those definitions, so unless you explicitly modified your user to be in defaults class the changes you made do nothing. Also, you don't really need to override LC_COLLATE to plain C, just use C.UTF-8 locale.

looks like you can't change resolution with vt in BIOS mode?
On moment now - You are right:
with sc and flags for sc -> resolution possible set to desired 1600x1200
with vt -> I do not know how to change resolution to desired 1600x1200

But I hope it would be possible: when chipset able to work at 1600x1200 in sc(), why the same not possible with vt()?

My mistake, sorry.
I meant that "default" and "defaults" are two different classes, the former is well defined and is used, well, by default; the latter does nothing unless you explicitly assigned your login to that class. Please make sure that you are modifying the default entry and not defaults.
One question: why You using :lang=C.UTF-8: instead :lang=en_US.UTF-8: ?
It's the same old C locale, hence I do not have to override LC_COLLATE (and, likely, LC_NUMERIC) back to C as was done in your case, with the added benefit of UTF-8 charset.

when chipset able to work at 1600x1200 in sc(), why the same not possible with vt()?
You where able to set the resolution in sc(4) with vidcontrol(1) [... mode]. vt(4) does not support that feature (maybe in the future).

The Matrox 200e doesn't support VBE framebuffer mode either (VT(vbefb:), which would allow to set a higher screen resolution. The solution I see here to get a higher resolution for sysutils/btop and sysutils/gotop is to install Xorg (which you want to avoid), or add a dedicated graphics card to get VBE framebuffer support.

I have an old nVIDIA GPU (GT 630, rebranded GeForce GT 430 DDR3 from 2012) supporting vbefb, where I can change resolution in vt(4), beginning with FreeBSD 13.0. Version 12.3 doesn't include the vt vbefb driver.

You where able to set the resolution in sc(4) with vidcontrol(1) [... mode].
As I previously wrote, I successfully set this internal iRMC Matrox chip to 1600x1200 by directive in /boot/loader.conf and /boot/loader.conf.local, and /boot/device.hints
vt(4) does not support that feature (maybe in the future).
The Matrox 200e doesn't support VBE framebuffer mode either (VT(vbefb:), which would allow to set a higher screen resolution.
You mean ability working vt() with vidcontrol() OR ability vt() to set higher resolution exactly in this integrated Matrox G200e in iRMC ?
(Please see other my thread here on forum about this)

The solution I see here to get a higher resolution for sysutils/btop and sysutils/gotop is to install Xorg (which you want to avoid), or add a dedicated graphics card to get VBE framebuffer support.
No in option because this is specialized network router (so any additional software is highly not recommended) and all slots are filled by NICs.

I have an old nVIDIA GPU (GT 630, rebranded GeForce GT 430 DDR3 from 2012) supporting vbefb, where I can change resolution in vt(4), beginning with FreeBSD 13.0. Version 12.3 doesn't include the vt vbefb driver.
Are You completely sure that my integrated G200e in iRMC not able to support vbefb ?
(Official Fujitsu server support are really horrible... not answering on mails, just “ok we create ticket 123456 blah-blah-blah”, I try to receive answer several times within 1 year...)

Is this ability depend on FreeBSD driver or hardware realization ?

Thank You!

I meant that "default" and "defaults" are two different classes, the former is well defined and is used, well, by default; the latter does nothing unless you explicitly assigned your login to that class. Please make sure that you are modifying the default entry and not defaults.
Just check: default. ;)

Thank You for help!

As I previously wrote, I successfully set this internal iRMC Matrox chip to 1600x1200 by directive in /boot/loader.conf and /boot/loader.conf.local, and /boot/device.hints
Not sure which setting manipulates the screen resolution in your configuration files on your system. Maybe vesa.ko and hint.sc.0.vesa_mode="285"? (The vesa driver is integrated in the GENERIC kernel, it doesn't need to be loaded as module.)

Or loading the mga.ko module?

You mean ability working vt() with vidcontrol() OR ability vt() to set higher resolution exactly in this integrated Matrox G200e in iRMC ?
I mean the support of vidcontrol(1) [... mode] in vt(4).

Are You completely sure that my integrated G200e in iRMC not able to support vbefb ?
The output of dmesg | grep VT from your Thread change-resolution-to-1600x1200-on-integrated-matrox-mga-g200e-in-d2939-fujitsu-motherboard.82686/post-540450 suggests vbefb is not supported.

Athough it's not clear if the command is executed on a 12.3 or 13.x system. When executed on 12.3 it won't show vbefb support. VT VBE framebuffer device support is only available starting with 13.0. 12.x kernel series can't support vbefb.

Check booting a 13.1-RELEASE installer image (without installing). At the "Welcome" dialog drop to "Shell" or "Live CD" and execute dmesg | grep 'VT('.

If VBE framebuffer device is supported the output should look similar to following (this is what is printed on my system):
Code:
VT(vga): resolution 640x480
VT(vbefb): resolution 1920x1080

If by any chance the line VT(vbefb): appears, set in /boot/loader.conf (or /boot/loader.conf.local) screen.textmode=0 or vbe_max_resolution="1600x1200" (for details see loader.conf(5)).

Back