How to set the date?

Hello

So basic it might sound but I can't set the date of my FreeBSD 8.2.
# date

returns
Code:
Mon Feb 28 13:55:26 EET 1994

I've tried many samples given on the Internet and on date(1) but still I can't change the date to 24.08.2011. The timezone I selected on sysinstall was Region: 8-Europe and Country: 47-Turkey. (Does the abbreviation EET look reasonable: YES)
# date 20110824 (2011 08 24 is meant)
# date 21110824 (21th centruy Year 11 Month 08 Day 24 is meant)
# date 20110824151515 (same as two above with time 15:15:15)
# date 21110824151515 (same as two above with time 15:15:15)

all returned illegal time format error.

How to set the date? I need to set the date correctly to download some updates for Ports collection.

What I usually do is set the time reasonably correct in the BIOS (it's the easiest way). Once the system is up and running I use ntpdate(8) to sync it with my ISP's NTP server. I then configure ntpd(8) or install net/openntpd (the latter has some extra options).

Hey, that's fine. After I changed it in BIOS, the date finally started to show the correct date.

The inability to use date command and having to use the BIOS is a bit tricky, I must say.

Thanks.

aurora72 said:
The inability to use date command and having to use the BIOS is a bit tricky, I must say.
I agree. But like you, I can never seem to remember the correct syntax for the date command ;)

From the man page:
Code:
date [-jnu] [[[[[cc]yy]mm]dd]HH]MM[.ss]

Note the lack of brackets around MM; it's not optional. Setting the year-month-day without hours and minutes appears to not be supported. I'd guess that's due to the difficulty of interpreting what the input means without requiring at least one fixed field.

alphachi said:
I think using the command [cmd=]ntpdate pool.ntp.org[/cmd] is a better idea.

If your ISP has an NTP server it's best if you pick that one.

I personally wouldn't trust any *.pool.ntp.org with ntpdate. I've seen servers jump all over the time scale because of ill-configured pool members. Either use your ISP's or their upstream's servers, or even one of the Microsoft ones. Lots of university NTP servers are public as well.

Back