Solved How to set parameters at XFCE startup

Hi,
I use XFCE4 for window manager, the OS is FreeBSD 10.2 (AMD64), after startxfce4's command, I must apply this parameters into the terminal VT320:
Code:
setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout fr -variant latin9 &
xset -dpms s off

How can I set my parameters automatically after startxfce4's command? Is there a configuration file to do it?

Regards.
Philippe

Hi,
iI put my parametres into ~/.xinitrc, but there are no changes!
Have you another file configuration?

Regards
Philippe

Google with search terms "xfce4 keyboard" provides
xfce4-settings/keyboard

Google with "xfce4 display dpms" provides
Xfce4 Archi Wiki
with
Some programs that are commonly used with Xfce will control monitor blanking and DPMS (monitor powersaving) settings. They are discussed below.

Xfce Power Manager
Xfce Power Manager will control blanking and DPMS settings. These settings can be configured by running xfce4-power-manager-settings and clicking the Display tab. Note that unticking the Handle display power management option means that the Power Manager will disable DPMS - it does not mean that the Power Manager will relinquish control of DPMS. Also note that it will not disable screen blanking. To disable both blanking and DPMS, right click on the power manager system tray icon or left click on the panel applet and make sure that the option labelled Presentation mode is ticked.

XScreenSaver
See XScreenSaver#DPMS and blanking settings. Note that if XScreenSaver is running alongside Xfce Power Manager, it may not be entirely clear which application is in control of blanking and DPMS as both applications are competing for control of the same settings. Therefore, in a situation where it is important that the monitor not be blanked (when watching a film for instance), it is advisable to disable blanking and DPMS through both applications.

xset
If neither of the above applications are running, then blanking and DPMS settings can be controlled using the xset command, see DPMS#Modifying DPMS and screensaver settings using xset.

This took me 5 minutes and I suspect that you are capable of doing this yourself.o_O

Hi shepper,
for the keyboard are work fine (it's easy), but for the DPMS the window power setting doesn't load, there are a bug, iI search a file for command manually. Have you any ideas ?

Regards
Phil

Is sysutils/xfce4-power-manager installed?. If it is, are there any helpful error messages in ~/.xsession-errors.

The xfce xfce4-power-manager for the power-manager also has command line options that are useful for debugging.

The general usage of the command line options is:

xfce4-power-manager [OPTION...]
Here is a summary of all the options, grouped by type. Explanations are in the following sections.

Help Options
-h; --help; --help-all; --help-sm-client
Application Options
--no-daemon; --debug; --dump; --restart; -c; --customize; -q; --quit; -V; --version
Help Options
-h, --help
Shows help options and exit
--help-all
Shows all help options and exit
--help-sm-client
Shows session management options and exit
Application Options
--no-daemon
Starts the power manager in non-daemon mode: useful for debugging
--debug
Enables debugging
--dump
Dumps all information
--restart
Restarts the running instance of Xfce power manager

Is xfce4-power-manager running in $ ps -aux | grep xfce4? If not, then what error messages do you get when you start it from the command line with
$ xfce4-power-manager --no-daemon --debug?

If it is running $ xfce4-power-manager --quit && xfce4-power-manager --no-daemon --debug.

This is my output after xfce4-power-manager --quit and xfce4-power-manager -c :
Code:
(xfce4-power-manager:1234): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_signal_subscribe: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

(xfce4-power-manager:1234): libupower-glib-WARNING **: Couldn't connect to proxy: Could not connect: No such file or directory

(xfce4-power-manager:1234): xfce4-power-manager-CRITICAL **: Unable to get system bus connection : Could not connect: No such file or directory

(xfce4-power-manager:1234): xfce4-power-manager-CRITICAL **: Error getting system bus connection : Could not connect: No such file or directory

(xfce4-power-manager:1234): xfce4-power-manager-CRITICAL **: Unable to connect to the system bus : Could not connect: No such file or directory
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1524] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Timeout: 10
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1524] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Timeout: 10
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 222 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_POWER_OFF)

(xfce4-power-manager:1234): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: could not map keysym 1008ffa8 to keycode

(xfce4-power-manager:1234): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: could not map keysym 1008ffa7 to keycode

TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 150 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_SLEEP)

(xfce4-power-manager:1234): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: could not map keysym 1008ff02 to keycode

(xfce4-power-manager:1234): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: could not map keysym 1008ff03 to keycode

TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 244 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_BATTERY)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 217 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_KBD_BRIGHTNESS_UP)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 216 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_KBD_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)

(xfce4-power-manager:1234): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: Unable connect to system bus: Could not connect: No such file or directory

** (xfce4-power-manager:1234): WARNING **: No outputs have backlight property

(xfce4-power-manager:1234): xfce4-power-manager-CRITICAL **: Unable to get system bus connection : Could not connect: No such file or directory

(xfce4-power-manager:1234): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: Unable connect to system bus: Could not connect: No such file or directory

This likely means that the dbus service is not starting. I do not run Xfce but I recall a recent thread about dbus being needed for certain applications. The power-manager is likely to be one of them. I not sure if hald is still needed but if you find it in /etc/rc.d I would go ahead and enable it.

This handbook section 5.7.1 tells you how to enable it in /etc/rc.conf
GNOME uses D-Bus and HAL for a message bus and hardware abstraction. These applications are automatically installed as dependencies ofGNOME. Enable them in /etc/rc.conf so they will be started when the system boots:

dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"

Back