Solved How to set FreeBSD 13.1 boot VT message font

Hello,
I have successfully installed FreeBSD on a Thinkpad x250 and every thing works great. I did install sway and qutebrowser for now it is just a basic setup to get the laptop functional enough for my basic needs. In short I have one simple annoyance that is the the boot messages font is too big for me and I have managed to decrease the VT font size using

Code:
/boot/loader.conf
kern.vty="vt"
kern.vt.fb.default_mode="1366x768"
allscreens_flags="-f vgarom-thin-8x16"
But the boot messages fonts size keeps being big until the login prompt then my settings are applied only after the prompt appears on screen.
How to make the boot messages font smaller and hopfully change font type too?
Thanks in advance.
amr

For example, my /boot/loader.conf includes these lines:

Code:
screen.font="8x16"
efi_max_resolution="1600x900"

– where that is the maximum resolution for this particular display.

Code:
…kern.vt.fb.default_mode="1366x768"
allscreens_flags="-f vgarom-thin-8x16"
…

Try screen.font="8x16" in your loader.conf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all, This is the best community ever. 😈
I am happy to be a freeBSD user with this great community that realy helps new commers
many thanks and appreciations
and Good Day
amr

In addition to post #2:

Any BDF or HEX format font file can be converted with vtfontcvt(8) to a .fnt file (see wiki Newcons, Font Support), or a .fnt file can be used directly if available, e.g. from ports x11-fonts/spleen, x11-fonts/tamsyn, x11-fonts/profont or from a external source.

Place the .fnt file in /boot/fonts. Rename the file according to the fonts specs <width>x<height>.fnt (e.g. xy-24.fnt to 12x24.fnt), and gzip(1) the file.

Before placing the file, rename a present font file if the name of the new file is already occupied.

Set the loader.conf(5) setting "screen.font", and reboot system.

Back