How to see all slices?

Hello,

Sorry if this seems simple, but I have googled many different ways trying to find the answer ... no luck. I have a new install of FreeBSD 8.1.
During the partitioning scheme I created the following:

slice 1 = 25 Gig for operating system and samba
slice 2 = 295 Gig for data

Using the df command I can see all of my partitions on ad4s1:

Code:
ad4s1a = /
ad4s1f = /tmp
ad4s1d = /usr
ad4s1e = /usr/local
ad4s1g = /var

During the partitioning phase, when it asked for the information for ad4s2, I picked "File System" and a mount point of /data

Shouldn't I see the entry in df command when run of:

Code:
ad4s2a = /data
?

My end result is to have the /data partition mount automatically on bootup. I edited the /etc/fstab file and added the line for ad4s2a and mimicked the other existing line entries. This just made the system halt and go into single user mode in which I was able to remove my errant entry.

Thank you for your help.
Kell

Hi and good luck with your new system...

# df
will only show mounted slices and will do nothing about the non-mounted ones. For partition / slice management you need disk geometry. Use:
# gpart show
to see all info about the disk. For further functionality use man gpart.

Of course, a very easy way is to list contents of your /dev folder. All slices etc will show up as entries there. So:
# ls /dev/ad4*
will show you all recognized slices.
You can also look at the man pages for glabel for managing slice labels and adding the slice into fstab by labels (slice names)

Separately, I would advise that you look into ZFS (z file system). Has many advantages, but you have to follow a slightly different approach to install on ZFS. Here is the step-by-step for GPT partition table. If you are not using windows, you do not need an MBR partition; but if you decide to go with GPT you will need to create a 64k bios sector.

Back