PF How to rate limit ping?

I could use some help with a pf firewall I can't get to work. For some reason, ping/icmp won't get blocked by overload.

This works for ssh connections:
Code:
table <bruteforce> persist
block drop in log quick on $ext_if inet proto tcp from <bruteforce> port 22
pass in log on $ext_if inet proto tcp to port 22 keep state (max-src-conn 15, max-src-conn-rate 3/1, overload <bruteforce> flush global)

This does exactly what I would expect it do do: when a source IP sends more than 3 requests over TCP/22 in 1 second, the IP gets added to <bruteforce>, the connection drops and the source IP can't make new connections. But something similar for ICMP (echoreq) just won't work:
Code:
table <blacklistping> persist
block drop in log quick on $ext_if from <blacklistping>
pass in log on $ext_if inet proto icmp icmp-type { echoreq unreach } keep state (max-src-conn 3, max-src-conn-rate 1/10, overload <blacklistping> flush global)

1/10 (1 per 10 seconds) should be a pretty aggressive setting, but even when sending 100 ping requests in 1 second, they all just get answered without getting blocked. The source IP for some reason doesn't get added to the <blacklistping> table.

Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help!

There is no "connection" with ICMP. TCP uses the so-called "three-way handshake" (SYN; SYN/ACK; ACK) to make a connection.

Ah, that actually makes sense! I would like to rate limit ping to 1/s per source IP, is this possible in some other way?

Maybe,
Thanks. I already use a low setting for net.inet.icmp.icmplim, but the thing is: some source IP addresses should be able to ping more often than 1/s, while the internet shouldn't have that ability (on these servers). Also I like to have some logging. So I figured I create rules allowing a table with allowed IP's to send a lot of pings, while any other source IP will be blocked fairly fast. The pipe thing mentioned might be something to check out, thanks!

Back