How to put installed app on menu?

FreeBSD 12.0 KDE5

After installing programs such as seamonkey (# pkg ins seamonkey), I am unable to find it in any menu. I must hit (alt + f2) and type ‘seamonkey’ in the field and hit ‘enter’ to launch the program.

How can I put the installed programs into the system menu?

If the programs have desktop start file copy it to:
desktop file location - for plasma 5
copy the startup desktop file to:
/home/user/.local/share/applications
That will put it in your start menu. If you searched, and could not find the desktop start file you will have to create one.
If you do not have desktop start try to make a shortcut by an icon for those programs.

FreeBSD 12.0 KDE5

After installing programs such as seamonkey (# pkg ins seamonkey), I am unable to find it in any menu. I must hit (alt + f2) and type ‘seamonkey’ in the field and hit ‘enter’ to launch the program.

How can I put the installed programs into the system menu?
It's weird. KDE5 should auto update the menu anytime new software installed. Check /usr/local/share/applications if a SeaMonkey.desktop file exists.

Thank you for replies.
It works normally now. I didn't really do anything; I guess it just 'fixed itself'. 😳

If you do not have desktop start try to make a shortcut by an icon for those programs.

If you're not able to locate a desktop start file you can manually add the application to your menu by using the menu editor. Right click the menu icon in the taskbar and select 'Edit Applications' then just add a new item in either the top level or the submenu of your choice. As a minimum you need to supply a name to show in the menu and the command to run the application.

You can find more at https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kde-workspace/kmenuedit/quickstart.html

Back