How to mount two more disks?

I have 7.1 installed on a 30G hard disk, but have another ide disk (250G) and a scsi disk (250G) that I use for data backups when I'm running Linux. How do I get access to those disks in FreeBSD?

I've looked at Fdisk (through /usr/sbin/sysinstall) and it shows the other disks as ad1 and ad6 and partitions on them, but I'm kind of afraid to do anything with the partition editor for fear of damaging all of my backup data.

ale said:
What do you have to do exactly? Access the data on the drives or create new partitions?

Just access the data and be able to write to the existing partitions. I could have created new partitions when I had fdisk open, but backed out because there was no reason to.

Use mount command to mount it. For e.g. create dir as follows:
Code:
mkdir /disk1
/dev/ad6s1 on /disk1
df -H
Replace /dev/ad6s1 with actual partition name. Once satisfied update /etc/fstab

I created the directory /media/sata2a, and determined that partition ad1s1 is the one I want. (/dev/ad1s1 does exist.) This is what I get when I follow Vivek's method:

# /dev/ad1s1 on /media/sata2a
/dev/ad1s1: Permission denied.

No "mount" needed?

No, you do need to use mount(8).
Something like
# mount -t ext2fs /dev/ad1s1 /media/sata2a
Note that writing may be sketchy and I doubt that, if it's ext3, the journal will be updated.

What is the output of mount?
And fdisk ad1?
And ls -al /dev/ad*?
Are you doing that as root? Check with whoami.
Are you sure it's not mounted yet?
As you were talking about linux, did you tried with mount -t ext2fs ... or mount -t msdosfs ...?

werdigo49 said:
I created the directory /media/sata2a, and determined that partition ad1s1 is the one I want. (/dev/ad1s1 does exist.) This is what I get when I follow Vivek's method:

# /dev/ad1s1 on /media/sata2a
/dev/ad1s1: Permission denied.

No "mount" needed?
my bad, it should be:
Code:
mount /dev/ad1s1 /media/sata2a

Back