Solved How to mount NTFS partition from same HDD?

Hello,
I am using FreeBSD 11.1, dual boot with Win 10.
Win 10 is on C drive (ada0p3). I have my media on ada0p4, which is an NTFS drive. sade shows it as "ms-basic-data".
My FreeBSD is installed in a nested partition.
With linux, I used to use sudo mount /dev/sda2<or the drive letter> /usr/target
How can I mount that drive in FreeBSD? Also, I am using XFCE.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Kiran.

I believe they all are described in ntfs-3g(8).
You may need ro, for example, maybe uid.
Also, if you want to add the corresponding line to /etc/fstab, you may need late option for a removable device, e.g.
Code:
/dev/da0s1   /mnt/usb   ntfs   mountprog=/usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g,late,rw       0   0

Code:
ntfs-3g -o <options> /dev/xyz /mnt

Hi. Upon entering root@alienware:/home/usernamekiran # mount -t ntfs-3g -o permissions /dev/sda4 /mnt/windows
I am getting: mount: /dev/sda4: Operation not supported by device

And upon entering root@alienware:/home/usernamekiran # ntfs-3g -o permissions /dev/sda4 /mnt/windows
I am getting ntfs-3g: Failed to access volume '/dev/sda4': No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong? :-|

ntfs-3g: Failed to access volume '/dev/sda4': No such file or directory
That's correct, you'll never see sda devices in FreeBSD, they are named differently compared to Linux, e.g. if it's a USB disk, most likely it will be /dev/da0. So check your /dev for the devices. If you plug in a USB disk, you'll see the device name in dmesg | tail output. You want to mount a partition, e.g. /dev/da0s4, if you know it's 4. It could be /dev/da0p4 if it's a GPT disk.

You will need sysutils/fusefs-ntfs or else you won't be able to read it at all.
That's correct, you'll never see sda devices in FreeBSD, they are named differently compared to Linux, e.g. if it's a USB disk, most likely it will be /dev/da0. So check your /dev for the devices. If you plug in a USB disk, you'll see the device name in dmesg | tail output. You want to mount a partition, e.g. /dev/da0s4, if you know it's 4. It could be /dev/da0p4 if it's a GPT disk.

I used: root@alienware:/home/usernamekiran # ntfs-3g -o permissions /dev/ada0p4 /mnt/windows which produced:
Code:
Using default user mapping
fuse: failed to open fuse device: No such file or directory

Just to sure, I tried to mount a non-ntfs partition.
root@alienware:/home/usernamekiran # ntfs-3g -o permissions /dev/ada0p5 /mnt/windows
Output:
Code:
NTFS signature is missing.
Failed to mount '/dev/ada0p5': Invalid argument
The device '/dev/ada0p5' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
Maybe the wrong device is used?
Or the whole disk instead of apartition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?

All this time (since before even creating this thread), I have refereing to sade partition editor. I have GPT, and the partition that I want to mount is ada0p4

Hi kiran9 ,

if you don't want to manually determine filesystems and mount them on the command line, you can use sysutils/dsbmd and sysutils/dsbmc:
Just add
Code:
dsbmd_enable="YES"
to /etc/rc.conf. Then start the dsbm[B]d[/B] daemon with service dsbmd start or reboot your system. Now you can use the GUI dsbm[B]c[/B] to mount, unmount, etc. your storage devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi kiran9 ,

if you don't want to manually determine filesystems and mount them on the command line, you can use sysutils/dsbmd and sysutils/dsbmc:
Just add
Code:
dsbmd_enable="YES"
to /etc/rc.conf. Then start the dsbm[B]d[/B] daemon with service dsbmd start or reboot your system. Now you can use the GUI dsbm[B]c[/B] to mount, unmount, etc. your storage devices.

Hi. I used dsbmc. It is very easy. Thanks. Even though I generally prefer CLI, this time I prefer dsbmc. Thanks everybody. The issue is now resolved.

Back