How to make xorg.conf

I just installed compiz and I'm following the handbook. When I create my startup script for compiz I'm not getting any of the title bars on the windows. Per the instructions this is because I've missed something in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The problem is I don't have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf Is there any easy way to take whatever configuration I have right now and output a config file so I don't mess anything up or is it more involved that this?

You can change xorg.conf all you want. If it is not right, renaming or deleting it will restore xorg to using the defaults. Look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what values xorg is using.

@BeautifulFish -- that's what I'm tryig to do right now. I'd like to use deskutils/cairo-dock. I've already enabled compositing in x11/gnome2 and I'm still getting the black box around it and the -o option doesn't help either. I thought that maybe using Compiz would help solve this problem and I've been meaning to install it anyway.

@wblock -- What I'd like to do is just copy over the configuration that Xorg is already using and then make the adjustments. But the configuration # Xorg -configure generates doesn't work. I've taken a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log is there an easy way to make this into the correct format for my /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Xorg -configure should generate an xorg.conf file using the same defaults that you get when running without an xorg.conf file at all.

If it doesn't work, show us the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file that is generated.

Adam

Still not working, when I test the new configuration I get a black screen until I press the power button to shutdown the I see the "x" cursor.

I've attached Xorg.0.log

Attachments

• Xorg.0.log.txt
    18.7 KB · Views: 262
kr651129 said:
I just installed compiz and I'm following the handbook. When I create my startup script for compiz I'm not getting any of the title bars on the windows. Per the instructions this is because I've missed something in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The problem is I don't have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf Is there any easy way to take whatever configuration I have right now and output a config file so I don't mess anything up or is it more involved that this?
It is not an answer to your question anyways when I first tried Compiz I had the same problem but in my case the cause was that there were no appropriate settings (window decorations maybe?) selected in Compiz config. You might try playing with them.

izotov said:
It is not an answer to your question anyways when I first tried Compiz I had the same problem but in my case the cause was that there were no appropriate settings (window decorations maybe?) selected in Compiz config. You might try playing with them.

I had a similar experience with Ubuntu once but I don't think this is the case because I was having this problem before I installed compiz...I DO however have another thread open related to compiz if you have any thoughts on that (http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=33203)

Back